??? concerning BMW motorcycle and CMBB

I was wondering why there wasn't a BMW motorcycle with sidecar put into the game. It's not like it is a rare vehicle or anything, and they were used a lot. I checked back through the forum to see if this question had been asked, didn't find anything. Just wondering if one could be put into the game, or is there any plans to put them in the game.

If I remember correctly, the prime reason was that they would have allowed players to carry out what's called "Gamey Recon".

Because in CM you have a spotting system where whatever one unit sees, they all see, Gamey Recon is a system whereby players rush cheap, light recon units towards the enemy, thus getting a good look at their opponent's forces. It was popular in CM:BO (Gamey Jeep Recon).

It might also be because motorcycles, though very commonplace, weren't widely used in a combat situation - although I have no idea about this. Wait till one of the bearded grogs comes along to tell the truth.

If I'm wrong, spank me.

This has been discussed, but it might have been back on the old CMBO forum, which may explain why you couldn't find anything with a search.

As I recall, the reasoning was that while motorcycle troops were certainly part of German TO&Es, especially in the early war, the troops generally fought dismounted, so you wouldn't actually see the bikes on the CM battlefield - they would have been left behind once the troops got into the combat area.

I think there was also something about them being very difficult to model, what with the fact that one squad would have to be split onto 3-4 bikes. This would explain why trucks and jeeps/kubelwagens, which are also not really suited to being up on the front lines, are included in CMBB, but the motorcycles are not.

I don't have any particular knowledge of this subject myself, just trying to remember what was said in earlier discussions on the matter.

Cheers,

YD

Ok just wondering,I know what you mean about the rushing of recon, I had that happen to me a lot the short time I played sudden strike, I just never went to that level of using a rush recon, pretty cheap.I just figured thet you could make the motorcycle or jeep weak in defense where as they could be killed easier if used to rush recon, and still be used for recon in a reasonable way

Jeeps (and such) are already plenty easy to kill!

The was a LOOONg debade on the Beta board about motorcycles & sidecars. The jist of it was motorcycles are like horse transport, bicycles, and trucks. They may have got you to the general area (where most scenarios begin anyway) plenty fast but nobody in their right mind would ride them into the thick of the battle.

There was a separate issue about the impossibility of sub-dividing infantry teams up to use motorcycles as transport. Basically, it would've been too time-consuming to code and of very limited tactical value, compared to what else is in the game that can do the same work (Kubelwagens, etc.)

[ November 15, 2002, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]