COMBAT MISSIONS: Unit Research - Hetzer

So what do you think about the Hetzer and it's tactical usage in CM?. Again, comments on the pro's & con's of 'buying' this unit would be much appreciated.

btw - Info gathered over the past few days on the Sherman will be posted on the COMBAT MISSIONS site sometime over the weekend.

TIA

------------------

COMBAT MISSIONS - CM News, Supplies & Resources

WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK

The Hetzer is one of my favorite vehicles. It's best used from a protected position do to it's turretless design.

Pros - Decent Gun

Front armor that is all but impenetrable from any reasonable distance.

Cheap price.

Cons - No turret

Low ammo load

pathetic side and rear armor

limited gun traverse (even for a turretless vehicle)

I remember one scenerio where I was playing a QB against the AI. My armor consisted of a Hetzer and 3 Panzer IVs. The AI had about 6 Sherman 75s. I lost to Panzer IV's early due to poor positioning and horroble luck. The Shermans crested a hill in a group coming into los of the Hetzer. The Hetzer got one and then suffered gun damage. It just sat there distracting the shermans and taking hit after hit (all 5 firing at it) allowing the last Panzer IV to circle around and take them one at a time from the rear. That Hetzer ricocheted well over 20 rounds at about 300m.

curih

It's a great TD. I agree curih, but I would like to add:

PROS:

Low profile-makes it hard to spot & hit

Good mobility- not great, just good

Great Upper front armor- can't be beat by most allied weapons at any range-placed in a hull down position, & from afar a hetzer can rule.

CONS:

Slow ROF- can be offset by buying more a more experience hetzer- the cost is nothing compared to the gain.

IMHO you can't find a better deal anywhere. The best bang for buck unit. I love my hetzers, & know how to use'em smile.gif

Don't use it as your main support, but to guard your flanks & command hull down positions on key supportive terrain.

------------------

"Far better it is

To dare mighty things...

Then to take rank with

Those poor, timid spirits

Who know neither

Victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt 1899

[This message has been edited by Grobdeutschland (edited 01-05-2001).]

again, read the thread "killing a hetzer"

My respect for this vehicle is pretty high at the moment. In the above thread, I had four M4A3(75)W Shermans and one M8 Greyhound manuevering and fighting against one Hetzer. My assets fired a total of 21 AP rounds from the shermans and another 7 AP rounds from the M8 with nothing more to show than a damaged track hit on the hetzer just before he killed my last sherman. Pretty damn tough if you ask me.