Best way to play the AI

I found the best way to play the AI in a quick battle is to choose Assault with the AI being the assaulter..This gives them more forces than you and makes a very interesting game..I would stay away from artillery pieces because everybody and their mother targets these thangs..I lost my 150mm gun every time before it fired a shot, I even hid it behind a ridge way in the rear attached to a gun tractor waiting for my tanks to clear any threats before bringing it up and it still got hit behind the ridge..

If you want a good game against the AI, you should attack. The AI is much better on defense, it always uses a human wave when attacking. Try attacking with a -10 or -20% bonus- it makes things a lot more interesting.

For a challenge, you should try playing with green or conscript troops against crack or elite AI troops- even defending becomes much more of a challenge, and you will probably have to use very simple, Soviet style tactics when attacking with conscripts.

Still, your best bet is to play a human or a Michael Dorosh; they are much less predictable and much better at thinking things through.

The best games I have had against AI recently is 500pt, Attack, Combined Arms, random weather, default everything else with you as the attacker and give the computer 30% bonus. I usually play Allies.

Can be a bit of a challenge at times.

From 109 Gustav:

If you want a good game against the AI, you should attack. The AI is much better on defense, it always uses a human wave when attacking. Try attacking with a -10 or -20% bonus- it makes things a lot more interesting.

I have come to this conclusion also.

My favorite way to play the AI is a normal defense.

By looking at the terrain, I can very accurately predict his line of advance (ie. The patch of woods where he will congregate ALL of his infantry). Then I bomb the hell out of it with big arty and mop up.

Sometimes, I establish elaborate ambushes just to lay waste to the attackers, training flamethrowers, SMG squads, MG teams, and large caliber inf guns on the planned route of advance which is naturally mined and stewn with wire. They walk righ in and a few crawl back out.

Come to think of it, I do the same things against Hiram...

Originally posted by Croda:

By looking at the terrain, I can very accurately predict his line of advance (ie. The patch of woods where he will congregate ALL of his infantry). Then I bomb the hell out of it with big arty and mop up.

Sometimes, I establish elaborate ambushes just to lay waste to the attackers, training flamethrowers, SMG squads, MG teams, and large caliber inf guns on the planned route of advance which is naturally mined and stewn with wire.

I did that one time vs. the AI: I had my main defense on my right flank in a valley w/ elaborate foxhole setup and grand plans (2 Pn, Pak43, 2 Marders, 20mm FlaK, mortars, 75mm FOs, etc.) On the left, I had a PaK38 and a Pn. The first shot I fired was from the left Pn, in an effort to button-up some tanks. However, the AI then sent its ENTIRE force that way, and I had to scamper my other 2 Pns the width of the map to help the other beleaguered Pn...

I find that +2 exp. along w/ +75% troops is quite a challenge...I fought to a Draw under those parameters in The Last Defense as the Krauts.

In the abstract, I think I like greater # of troops for the AI instead of more exp.levels. The added Exp. just makes it too ballsy for its own good. Their tanks become uber-snipers too...

[ March 19, 2002, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: Silvio Manuel ]