Only my gameyness can win the battle...

I've never had this happen before - what gives? In a hotseat game I picked all defaults for setup (computer choses forces with combined arms setting) with the exception that I set points for 300, picked meeting engagement, and set the map size to small. The computer gave me an M20 armored car, a 60mm mortar team, and a 81mm mortar team. That's it. That's less than 100 points. My opponent received a German paratroop platoon, a heavy M42 MG team, a panzerfaust team, a sniper, and a SPW 251/1 halftrack. What's up with that?

Epiloge: This realy happened. I rushed my armored car to the high ground under cover of smoke from my mortars. My MG fire then routed the sniper who ran off the map. As the area where my car was was receiving fire I reversed back over the hill and fast moved around the other flank keeping about a 100m distance from the enemy forces. The reason I did this was to try for a flank or rear shot on the halftrack since it's MG is forward mounted. I was hoping for a shot at it before I got knocked out. Instead, what happened was.... as the car crested the hill he shot up the panzerfaust, producing one casualty, and the team ran for cover. The squad providing cover for the team also got MGed in the open, lost several men and routed - running off the map. By this time my car was completely behind the Germans and alternately shot up the two remaining squads and MG team which were in the open (there was no cover on that side of the map). The squads ran off the map, and the MG team took 4 casualties, and routed to the rear, but not off the map. The HQ ran up to the house the panzerfaust was in to rally him, losing several men to the heavy mortar fire that was now falling. They then ran to try to rally the MG team. By this time my car was out of ammo, having circled the attacker twice, so he headed for the rear, being missed by the panzerfaust team who fired off all but one shot. The mortars were by then out of ammo. The panzerfaust occupied the building with the victory flag. Nothing to do but use the mortar teams as infantry.

All this with no casualties to the defender. If I had been attacking I don't see what I would have done much different. So my response to this whole thing is - Huh?

Interesting read.

Sounds like the computer picked fighter-bomber support, about 200pts, plus your 100 would be 300 total. Sadly, I guess you never saw your plane.

I have noticed the computer likes to select a fighter-bomber if you are the allies and its a clear day.

I select overcast to avoid the computers penchant for airpower.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Herder:

Interesting read.

Sounds like the computer picked fighter-bomber support, about 200pts, plus your 100 would be 300 total. Sadly, I guess you never saw your plane.

I have noticed the computer likes to select a fighter-bomber if you are the allies and its a clear day.

I select overcast to avoid the computers penchant for airpower.<hr></blockquote>

That would be impossible, no? You couldn't spend 200+ pts on Artillery in a Combined Arms battle.

*shrug*

Impossible things happen in QB's. I was going to start a thread on some inconsistencies I have noticed.

Computer can buy a weakened battalion too, something I haven't been able to figure out how to do.

I really notice this type of situation when playing small point, clear battles. I have never seen this situation using overcast.

Just my 2cents.

I think it is possible that you got an FB... in small point battles the max points per category are 1/3 to 100% of the total points (if it wasn't like this, then you would only be able to spend like 50 points on each category). FYI, the German paratroop platoon probably cost around 200 points (or more, I know that PzGren platoons are like 160).

I think you just got some bad luck in this situation.