CMBB: silhouette/profile/size value in unit info for guns?

sorry, I was just wondering once again and in a fit of associative posting I thought I'ld post my musings.

in CMBO we have an AFV's silhouette base value in the in-game info window shown. it hints at the "size" the unit has in the CMBO model. IIRC it was a subjective value of conspicuousnes/ssize made as an educated guess by BTS.

for AT guns their size was of vital importance. several AT gun designs were rather poor or even disregarded for deployment due to their decidedly high profile. other people on this board often hint at the importance of smokeless powder, camoflage, the conspicuousness of rapid-fire autocannonc such as the light&medium AA guns etc.

I think we should be given such a base value to judge the spotting probability of an AT gun just like the other data we are given for our vehicles and guns (blast ratings, ground pressure, etc.)

In CMBO we learned from playing experience just about roughly how "spottable" the different gun pieces in CMBO are, a famous example is the non-spottability of 2cm FlaK guns from excess of a couple hundred meters out.

IIRC the gun spotting model has been tweaked for CMBB. while at it, I think the game model "size" and therefore visibility of gun pieces is such an important value for these items that we should be told the base value the game uses in the unit info.

just the base value, obviously, without modifiers (hiding status, terrain modifiers, fog, rain, firing, commander bonus etc.) just like with the armor base data we are given (without modifications in the actual battle such as projectile shatter, slope, obliquity, armor qality etc.).

if this has been covered before I must've overlooked or forgotten that, sorry.

Don't forget the effects of stealth bonus. I recently had a 57mm ATG remain hidden for an entire game. When the smoke settled it had KO'ed 3 Mark IV's and Panther (Side Turret pentration). The little 57mm cap gun was being lead by double stealth bonus Veteran HQ.

My opponent was highly dismayed. I was simply in shock.

I for one would like to see more granularity given to an AFV's silhouette, taking into account more the target facing/hulldown situation, instead of CM's one size fits all.

It 'seems' from what I have read the difficulty in spotting the 20mm Flak currently in CM should be the 'norm' for most AT guns and MGs. If, as has been said, the gun spotting model has been tweaked for CMBB then that is most welcome news.

Oh yeah and a bump for the original poster also. smile.gif A very good idea.

Ron