Sound cut-outs

UPCdave

After several teething problems with the install I have finally got THE game up and running. It goes without saying that the wait was well worth it. However, I have experienced several small but irritating sound glitches during a few tests. I have noticed that I don't hear *all* the impacting explosions when the HE is raining down...I see all the explosions but not all go bang. Furthermore, I have experienced seeing machineguns spit out the tracer, recoiling as they fire but without the accompanying rattle. This is not the case a 100% of the time but sporadic...and irritating to say the least.

I am wondering what the cause of this could be. Is it hardware related? Someone suggested a sound card driver issue possibly...I never experienced this with CMBO. Any help gratefully received.

David

It sounds silly to ask, but I made the same mistake once. Are you sure you have both left and right channels on your speakers working?

What you report sounds to me like one or the other may not be working or turned down too low. Might want to also check your volume settings and balance in Windows.

Madmatt

Sound oddities still persist after checking the balance. The specs of the sound card: VIA PCI Audio controller, VIA technologies version 4.10.3108.

I checked every turn and noticed explosions not going 'bang' despite having men being vaporised by them.

As I said previous, it's not happening all the time, real sporadic and taking the shine off a little.

Anyone keen to take this one on? Anyone?

I'm not absolutely sure, but it sounds like you have AC97 audio, which is built into the chipset with a small external codec. These usually aren't the best audio solutions.

You may want to try the following VIA Audio driver v. 311c. I have no idea if it will actually solve your dropping audio problem or not.

You'll want to uninstall your current audio drivers before installing these. You may also want to check your motherboard manufacturer's website for drivers that they post since there's a possibility that the driver is based on a slightly different codec.

Other possible things to adjust may be in your CMOS/BIOS setup relating to memory timings or PCI latencies. You may also want to adjust the settings in the Sound tab of the DirectX Diagnostic (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DXDIAG for Windows 98).

Note: waddya know - doing a search before posting was worthwhile ;)

Schrullenhaft/Matt,

I have similar issues. In addition to what UPCdave has said, I also lose engine and track audio for vehicles, and more often than not don't hear vehicles and guns firing - even when I have the camera parked right beside them. I'm finding this annoying as I have gotten used to (via CMBO) relying on audio cues that action is happening out of camera.

I will check your suggestions once I get a chance (will be a few days as I'm on the road at the moment), but it may be worth noting that I don't have this issue with CMBO.

I'll report back once I've had a chance to try your ideas.

Regards

JonS

Hello JonS,

I feel your pain, really I do. Nothing I have done has helped me get the 100% sound so far. I have no idea how to uninstall sound card drivers so will have to ask my more computer literate mates to help with that one. Last night I noticed it cutting out repeatedly, hiding explosions from me as the action heated up. Individual guns, AT guns for example, or the main guns of tanks etc are coming across loud and clear but once arty is falling in rapid succesion, 81mm especially I definitely lose a lot of sound. It appears my PC simply can't handle the amount of sound. Explosion graphic but no explosion sound. I never had this problem with CMBO, regardless of how much HE was landing.

As I have moaned earlier...it's taking the shine off this great game.

Ahh Dave..... ;)

If you want to un-install your soundcard drivers, or any drivers for that matter, go to:

Configuration Panel -> system -> device manager. Navigate to the Sound, video and game controller section and double click on your sound card entry(s). In the tab that opens select drivers and then uninstall. The driver will be removed.

Depending on the type of OS it could be slightly different, but this is the general idea.

Ahh Dave..... ;)

If you want to un-install your soundcard drivers, or any drivers for that matter, go to:

Configuration Panel -> system -> device manager. Navigate to the Sound, video and game controller section and double click on your sound card entry(s). In the tab that opens select drivers and then uninstall. The driver will be removed.

Depending on the type of OS it could be slightly different, but this is the general idea.

To quick in posting, stupid me tongue.gif

Mies

[ October 03, 2002, 05:54 AM: Message edited by: Mies ]

I'm not sure if the VIA drivers will have a listing in the Add/Remove Programs listing or not. If there isn't a listing and there is no uninstaller provided with the drivers (most likely there isn't), then the method listed above would be the way to remove the driver (Device Manager).

You may also want to delete the .INF file (INF directory under your Windows directory). You'll have to browse for the file, which may be in the OTHER subdirectory of the INF directory. I'm not sure if any registry editing would be necessary here, but if the problem is complex enough it may be a course to pursue.