How do I kill the panther.

What can you all suggest to annihilate the formidable Panther tank? I’m about to loose my last tank. I do not have any other mobile vehicles except an off map mortar, an on map mortar and some troops. Does any ground troop have the ability to render this tank in operable?

In a pinch, troops can sometimes take out a tank from very close range with grenades and so forth, but ideally you'll want to use a bazooka or PIAT. With a lot of luck, the mortars could possibly score a top penetration or blow off a tread and immobilize it. That's unlikely, and it would be wiser to use the mortars to creat a smoke screen just as you're about to sneak infantry in behind the the tank.

If you can get your tank around for a flank shot, using the smoke screen, that would be the best, since the Panther has relatively weak side armor.

------------------

Don't talk to me about atrocities in war; all war is an atrocity.

--Lord Kitchener

[This message has been edited by Gremlin (edited 01-15-2001).]

thanks. bazooka are definitely too weak to penetrate the Panther but I will probably use the troop. Good suggestion on the smoke screen. Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gremlin:

In a pinch, troops can sometimes take out a tank from very close range with grenades and so forth, but ideally you'll want to use a bazooka or PIAT. With a lot of luck, the mortars could possibly score a top penetration or blow off a tread and immobilize it. That's unlikely, and it would be wiser to use the mortars to creat a smoke screen just as you're about to sneak infantry in behind the the tank.

If you can get your tank around for a flank shot, using the smoke screen, that would be the best, since the Panther has relatively weak side armor.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, you'd be surprised what a bazooka can do from above or behind. The Panther has massive frontal armor, though, so that angle is out of the question.

------------------

Don't talk to me about atrocities in war; all war is an atrocity.

--Lord Kitchener

A bazooka from the flank at about 100 meters. Your last tank from the flank at reasonable range (500 meters is fine). From the front, nothing you've got it going to do it (it takes a 90mm on a Jackson tank destroyer, or a British 17-lber AT gun on a Firefly or tank destroyer, from the front).

The way you are suppose to fight them is to get a pair of tanks, so that at least one of them can shoot from the side. With only one, it is obviously easier for him to face your last remaining gun. Or to run it down from the front, even if you try to hide.

You might manage to use a bazooka as your "second gun", but you also may have to lure him in close for it to work. (And protected from any accompanying infantry of his). Not easy. I suppose your last tank might be "bait", but anything that depends on your enemy making a mistake is obviously pretty desperate.

In the short term, you want to get your tank into dead ground where it can't be spotted, if it isn't already. And your zook teams farther forward than the tank, preferably on the back side (nearest you) of woods, buildings, or crestlines (reverse slope I mean). Get other infantry teams in places where they can see his Panther if possible, and try to keep track of it.

Then you watch for a chance to hit it from the side with your remaining tank, and keep the zook teams more or less between the two tanks so he can't run down your tank front-to-front without giving them a flank shot.

After that, we has to make a mistake, but you ought to be able to stalemate the situation. Your infantry up front will not like getting shot at very much, but then they never do and always get shot at anyway, so...