Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Stalingrad

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Stefan Fredriksson:

Do you know if someone has made a serious, and successful, attempt at recreating Stalingrad? Either as a campaign, or a small part of it as a single battle?<hr></blockquote>

I've just posted a Stalingrad map to the Scenario Depot - not a battle or operation mind, just the map. It's a scaled-down (+/- 10:1) version, but the main landmarks are there in the correct proportions. Here's the readme that goes with it:

"The city of Stalingrad in 1942 stretched for about forty miles along the west bank of the Volga. Being somewhat beyond the capabilities of the CM map editor, I've scaled it down so that 100 x 100 metres on the CM map represents about 1 square kilometre of the actual city. This scaling down does have the unfortunate effect of rendering the Volga less impressive and gives the impression that, at some points, the western outskirts are very close to the river. Nevertheless, I imagine that a force fighting its way to the river in a CM battle would find it a great considerable distance indeed.

Apart from the challenge posed by the factories, the trickiest aspect of representing Stalingrad in CM is the fact that the city is built on bluffs overlooking the river. Because of the difficulties in combining cities and elevation changes in CM while keeping the proportions of the city's layout correct, the elevation changes are somewhat fudged and, I imagine, also somewhat reduced. This is also due to a lack of information about elevations in any of the sources I used. I took my clues mainly from written descriptions of the terrain and from an extremely detailed aerial photograph of the city during the battle. If anyone has more information Stalingrad's (or Volgograd's!) elevations, please let me know.

I've designed the map more for historical reference than for gameplay, but I feel nonetheless that it would be very interesting to fight over (or at least parts of it - fighting over the whole thing might be a little ambitious). My aim when designing historical maps is to (a) enhance the viewers understanding of the battle through greater familiarity with the terrain, and (B) provide a visual reference which can be viewed when reading an account of the battle. With this map, (B) seems to work particularly well with accounts of the German attacks in September and October."

The maps section of the Scenario Depot hasn't been updated with it yet, but I imagine it should appear sometime over the weekend.

Regards,

Paul

[ 12-22-2001: Message edited by: Holdit ]</p>

Hey at Combat Mission World, see my signature for URL, has an entire Russian front theater mod for CM.

The mod includes new uniform and vehicle bmps plus new scenarios including 2=3 Stalingrad battles. There is even Russian langauge files to heighten the sense of being in Russia

Now by end of Christmas vacation break I will finish another 10 or so Stalingrad battles.

The site also has the original desert mod that Clubfoot and I created. It also hosts the early war mod for Poland and France in 1939-40

MikeT

MikeT

• 2 months later...

I've used Holdit's Stalingrad map to make 2 battles. Both need testing. Let me know if you want to test them out.

First battle takes place in the northern sector, with a fight over the factories with a strong Russian counter-attack. Size is about 5000pnts German to 7000pnts Soviet

Second battle is south of the Mamayav Kurgan with the Soviets outnumbering the Germans and trying to kick them out of the city while the Germans are trying to hold on with their fingernails. 4200 to 5600 soviet.

So who wants to go back to Novemember 1942?

Originally posted by Mr. Johnson--:

I've used Holdit's Stalingrad map to make 2 battles. Both need testing. Let me know if you want to test them out.

Glad to see someone's made use of it. I'm not sure how well my system can cope with those kinds of numbers, but I'd like to take a look.

Regards,

Paul