Making a legitimate copy of CM

Primarily posted for Madmatt. While I fully understand the tetchiness around copying and am totally against pirating, with all due respect the manual does indictae under 'copyright' that you are entitled to make one copy as a back-up. My original is already slighty scrathched despite extreme care with handling over recent months. The manual however contains not one scrap of information as to how a legitimate owner should make a copy. Perhaps you can mail me direct with any instructions that are different from above. Doubtless the records will show I am a legit owner of CMBO. Perhaps it could be recitified in CMBB with instructions as to how to do it. Otherwise, how can buffs (with regard to copying utilities be expected to know how to make a back-up).

Well, speaking strictly for myself, I suspect that while there may be such a "right to make a backup copy" (I haven't recently read the fine print myself) there is no obligation on the part of BTS to advise one on just how to go about doing this. There is software commercially available and CD burners should come with instructions on how to use it.

I'll be really surprised if BTS will give you much help in this regard; I know I wouldn't in their place. Frankly, I don't know of any firm that would do so, either, as it just doesn't make good business sense.

BUT the manual does clearly indicate you are allowed to make A copy. Anyone into pirating I am sure will need absolutely no guidance whatsoever and will doubtless have every utility and piece of kit going to allow them to do it. They should be shot! However, those of us who stump up the cash for the game struggle to find out how to make their legit back-up. Many companies will replace damaged legit discs for a small fee and the fact that CMBO is only available via the net makes it more problematic, particularly for those outside the US.

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: Apache ]

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: Apache ]</p>

Guest PondScum

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Apache:

Many companies will replace damaged legit discs for a small fee and the fact that CMBO is only available via the net makes it more problematic, particularly for those outside the US.<hr></blockquote>

Battlefront will replace damaged legit disks for free, AFAIK. I have taken a backup copy myself (using freeware and information found in the archives of this board, hint hint), but I don't mind Battlefront making this harder by not explicitly telling me what to do.

You are entitled to your opinion. In any event, I have absolutely no interest in entering a maoth debate about this - as the post indicates it was primarily posted for Madmatt. If you read the original post (in a similar vein to RTFM) you'd see that I'd searched the forum with no joy!!!

Apache, as you say your message was intended primarily for Madmatt, so I suggest you continue the discussion with him by email (matt@battlefront.com) and not on this "public" board. The subject itself is "touchy" and can be easily abused by people with not so legit concerns as yours, so I'm locking this up again.