Using artillery against targets in a town

I have only just starting playing this great game. I enjoy it best playing BPEM games.

Anyway as I have mentioned I am still green when it comes to tactics. My query is this:

My opponent has infantry holed up in a town consisting of two-storey heavy buildings and informed me that artillery will not affect his troops inside these buildings. Is this true?

Will my 300mm rockets have an effect either?

Many thanks. smile.gif

Guest Offwhite

Your opponent is either misinformed or misinforming you. Artillery definitely affects units in buildings, although for large heavy buildings you'll want large heavy arty smile.gif You're likely to do more damage to his units when the roof caves in after a few turns of bombardment than with the shells themselves, however.

300mm is plenty big for the job, but rockets tend to land all over the map, so you might do better using 150mm or even 105mm if you've got it. Direct tank fire works too, although again the amount of time needed to do significant damage depends on the size of the gun(s) you're using.

------------------

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep

Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap

- Rudyard Kipling, "Tommy"

Get a Priest or a Sherm 105 as Allies, and a hummel, wespe, or StuH as Axis. Use area fire, and watch those buildings crumble.

For arty, my rule of thumb is:

Light buildings- 105mm or bigger

heavy buildings- 155mm or bigger

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

The Last Defense- Free hosting for your CM pictures!

Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

Get a Priest or a Sherm 105 as Allies, and a hummel, wespe, or StuH as Axis. Use area fire, and watch those buildings crumble.

For arty, my rule of thumb is:

Light buildings- 105mm or bigger

heavy buildings- 155mm or bigger

a mess of sdkfz 7/2 or 7/1s usually does the trick too =grin=

andy

Direct fire HE is better against buildings than indirect. The reason is that near misses are much more common with indirect, and buildings give very good protection against near misses. 105mm or even 75mm direct fire - from a tank e.g. - will be effective. Indirect 105mm will generally not be effective against troops in stone buildings. If you spend enough ammo, you will hurt some, certainly. But most will live through it. You really want direct fire, or 150mm+ heavy stuff, for towns.

Thanks guys, some real food for thought there. smile.gif

I don't think he is 'trash talking' as he has got me hooked on the game and has given me much insight of how units operate. My only other game against him I pushed him close and the game was really decided on the last turn. I trust his advice, though he may well want throw in the odd 'red-herring' sometimes. wink.gif

Anyway, we allowed the computer to pick our units for us and I have some that may do the job:

StuG IIIG

210mm Rockets

King Tiger

PSW 234/1 (?)

Suggestions?

A Priest works wonders against light buildings. In one turn it knocked down 2 of them. My opponent thought he would take those buildings, but they weren't worth much after the Priest blessed them with its 105mm.

This weapon must be kept under cover, though, as it is highly vulnerable even to enemy light weapons such as 20mm guns.

From the equipment you've got I'd suggest emptying your 210mm rockets over the town (don't stand too close - rockets are none to accurate!).

Then push infantry into the town covering them with the King Tiger and the stug. Remember the king tiger has much tougher armour than the stug so it can get nearer to the action. Keep the stug 200m away from the buildings if you can.

Aww no I caught a glimpse of your forces Homer! soz m8.

When I said don't waste your arty in the town I mean standard artillery not the mega stuff. Have a go if you like but I wouldn't.

I once had a game with a platoon in a large heavy building being pounded all round by 210mm artillery. I just moved them to the centre of the building and told them to hide, they came through with minimal casualties.

definatly don't waste lower calibre arty in towns.