Will CM2 have unit roster?

Originally posted by gatpr:

Yugoslavia had a treaty in place that basically assured her of a place as a minor ally of the Axis. After the coup, that was when they ran out of options. Again I have great admiration for many episodes of Swedish history just not during WW2. Putting aside the issue of allowing German troops transit rights, and ore shipments, and the use of Swedish coastal waters as protection for convoys. Sweden when there was an allied army in Norway had the opportunity to make a difference and chose to do nothing. When the Finns were fighting for their lives and the Swedes could have made a difference they did nothing. The Yugoslavs and Greeks made the only choice theycould live with in situation where they didn't have choices. That seems to be a huge difference .

Let me see..

Am I to understand you feel Sweden fulfilled, essentially, the role of an axis ally by folding where she did?

There is no way in hell the Swedish army could have intervened in any meaningful way in Norway. We did not have the ability to protect our own territory, much less stage offensive operations across the border.

To claim that Sweden did not help Finland in its plight is not only unfair, it is completely and utterly wrong.

I’m not sure where the idea that Sweden had some kind of strong standing army or the ability to create effective expeditionary forces comes from but it has no basis in reality.

My point is that Sweden was privileged in not being located in a spot that was of such strategic importance that Germany deemed it absolutely necessary to either closely control the country politically or outright invade it. Yugoslavia and Greece were not as fortunate and hence they were faced with a much harder or, one could say, simpler choices.

Sweden thus had a choice to act “ignobly”, an option given to precious few European countries at that time.

And that is probably why decisions were taken to act in ways that are questionable, and indeed wrong, if you were already under the foot of the oppressor and thus had no choice, or if you were protected by 40 to 4000 kilometres of water and a strong military force or perhaps 60 years of time to think about it.

Sweden was for some considerable time at the mercy of the same power that controlled most of continental Europe. The military power of Germany influenced Sweden, just as it did France, Norway or indeed Great Britain at the time, it is merely a difference in degrees.

By the same scale our submission to this power was proportionally smaller than that of France or Norway, and that was indeed our luck. I still say it is unfair to blame Sweden for not being invaded and thus given cart blanch to blame transgressions on the invader.

M.

Something like that was on our "wish list" for CMBB, but I really doubt anything will happen along those lines. However, when the engine is rewritten we will likely have a limited Order of Battle display in such a way as to be helpful but not give the player too much information.
Thanks for the info. Sorry it didn't make it into CM2 but that is understandable given all the other wonders that appear to be in it. A step to HQ to HQ option would be a good consolation prize.

Also, what about the vehicle "follow" command did it make the cut?

Originally posted by Mattias:

There is no way in hell the Swedish army could have intervened in any meaningful way in Norway. We did not have the ability to protect our own territory, much less stage offensive operations across the border.

To claim that Sweden did not help Finland in its plight is not only unfair, it is completely and utterly wrong.

The Swedish help for Finland is a fact, there was material aid (basically non-military), and Sweden did allow volunteers to fight for Finland. Wheather Swedish governement could have done more to help Finland is an academic question. Their position was at least very helpfull in secret diplomatic negotiations, that were going on for the most of the time. The post-war material aid was substantial and much appreciated.

One thing that many people do not seem to know, that during the later part of Winter war, when England and France were giving promises of aid to Finland (which made Stalin a bit affraid), the real object of these allied plans was to occupy Kiiruna and the ore mines after making a landing in Norway. Sweden as a neutral independent country didn't think this was a great idea, and propably would have put up a fight. So a quite plausible what if scenario would be Swedes fighting against British and French attacking forces in the early months of 1940.

This was a time of really heavy diplomacy and a lot of what if -scenarios. The allied plans didn't stay secret, and influenced heavily on Hitler's decision to invade Denmark and Norway.

I believe there were actually many occations when Swedish border pattrols were engaged in firefights both on the west border, even helping Norvegian resistance, and east border during the Lappland war.

Something like that was on our "wish list" for CMBB, but I really doubt anything will happen along those lines.
Ack, I'm devastated! I guess my request for this must have slipped of the pile last January of whenever the hell it was... ;-(

ianc

BTS,

with SOP menu I was thinking more like the tacops one.

specially APC's and their onboard infantry can benefit from orders like:

Unload if fired on

and another important one:

Reverse or stop if fired on and (!) pop smoke

something thats not possible to do for the player rightnow

Or, stop/reverse and pop smoke when enemy is spotted

Henk

Given there will be no roster something like this would help for bigger battles:

Expand the functionality of the "+" and "-" key function where you can type a alt H, cntl H (or whatever isn't used yet) H which causes the +/- keys to step from HQ to HQ

a cntl A would cause the +/- keys to just step between arty spotters, a cntl T would cause the +/- to step between tanks, etc

With this one could find units without wearing out your +/- keys (and finger as well).

Also a cntl L to step back to the last unit selected by the +/- key would be good in that when stepping through units if you click on a friendly unit the step sequence gets reset to that unit and there is no easy way to get back to the unit you last (so laborously) stepped to via the +/- keys.

[ February 23, 2002, 11:41 PM: Message edited by: Midnight Warrior ]

I REALLY like the "alt H, cntl H (or whatever isn't used yet) H which causes the +/- keys to step from HQ to HQ" concept suggestion, GOOD idea!

That makes GREAT sense then you could instantly see where the BLACK command lines are from your HQ units that have subbordinate units out of their command radius.

OR about this:

JUST hit a hot key LIKE alt Shift L and show only Black command lines.

one of my biggest interestes is to keep all my units in command radius (this may be especially important with Russian units) and knowing when that line turns black is a BIG important thing to keep track of.

ANYway these things are likely ALL too late for CMBB :(

but its the THOUGHT that counts smile.gif

Good suggestions from Midnight Warrior

-tom w

Originally posted by Midnight Warrior:

Given there will be no roster something like this would help for bigger battles:

Expand the functionality of the "+" and "-" key function where you can type a alt H, cntl H (or whatever isn't used yet) H which causes the +/- keys to step from HQ to HQ

a cntl A would cause the +/- keys to just step between arty spotters, a cntl T would cause the +/- to step between tanks, etc

With this one could find units without wearing out your +/- keys (and finger as well).

Also a cntl L to step back to the last unit selected by the +/- key would be good in that when stepping through units if you click on a friendly unit the step sequence gets reset to that unit and there is no easy way to get back to the unit you last (so laborously) stepped to via the +/- keys.

[ February 24, 2002, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]