Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Suggested Reading?

Playing this game has piqued my interest in the armour aspect of the fighting in WW2 (I've been into planes almost exclusively up till now).

I'd like any suggestions on books where I might find out a little more about the tanks and other armour used in this game, as well as the Eastern front (soviet) tanks.. Specs, applications, diagrams.. That sort of stuff..

Also, does anyone know if a poster exists with some of the more popular (or populous, as the case might have been) tanks of both the Axis and Allies powers.. Just the side and front views, and brief specs.

Thanks alot!

For quick reference you can find quite a lot on the internet these days, just write the complete name of the vehicle and do a search.

For in depth view on German tanks specifically, Walter J Spielberger, along with Jentz I guess, would be the names to look for. They've published a series of books covering many of the models, normally carrying the title of the vehicle covered. They are not very well written, the texts bearing evidence of little ambition to entertain, but they are highly authoratitive and packed with data. Including cut-through views, photo's etc.

Fleischer has written a few good ones on the topic as well. Don't know if those are translated though.

You have the Chamberlain/Doyle volume too. Not very sexy but decent reference.

If you are as disturbed a person as me you might enjoy the documents available at BA. I'd focus on the inspectorate reports as a good starter.

Depends on your purpouses really. The specs and diagrams will be satisfied by the above. If you just want an idea what it was like serving in tanks, all the above is probably overkill. If armoured tactics is your aim you'd probably best go for a couple of solid divisional histories on the Panzer-Divisions instead.

Or you could just start threads here on the forum smile.gif

Cheerio

Dandelion

My companion bedside book for CMBO would have to be 'Overlord' by Max Hastings,

He covers everything... from the Bloody fighting to the grubby Command infighting and Politics, blows away a few myths in the process, as the saying goes, a good read!. His other books 'Das Reich' and 'Bomber Command' are just as superb.

I'd suggest Ken Tout's Tank, for a look at how British armour operated in Normandy at the lowest level. Tout was a loader and later tank commander in a Sherman of the County of Northamptonshire Yeomanry (the unit that finally got Wittmann). For a slightly higher level (i.e junior officer level) Keith Jones' 65 Days of a Normandy Summer is pretty good, Jones served in the Cromwell equiped recon regiment of the 11th Armoured Brigade. For the whole Normandy campaign John Keegan's 6 Armies in Normandy is one of the best bets. For a look at Normandy from a strategic level Carlo D'Este's Decision in Normandy can be hard work, but is a good look at what the likes of Churchill, Eisenhower, Monty, Dempsey and Bradley were up to.

Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Gaylord Focker:

I would suggest Stalingrad by Anthony Beevor.

I highly recommend you don't waste your time with Beevor's 'Stalingrad'. Aside from being one of the worst books written on the subject, it has little to do with the topic you are looking for </font>

Originally posted by Gaylord Focker:

Seriously? I'm not even close ot finsihing the book but am curious as to why you draw these conclusions of it.

Is it laced wiith inaccuracies?

Numerous inaccuracies. I probably wouldn't have noticed them if I hadn't been reading other things at the same time. The one example that I clearly remember is him mentioning Tigers in Manstein's attack... there weren't any Tigers in the south until after Stalingrad was a bad memory. Most of the things I spotted seemed to be geared toward making the Russian successes seem more spectacular (as if they didn't seem so anyway)

Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Gaylord Focker:

Seriously? I'm not even close ot finsihing the book but am curious as to why you draw these conclusions of it.

Is it laced wiith inaccuracies?

Numerous inaccuracies. I probably wouldn't have noticed them if I hadn't been reading other things at the same time. The one example that I clearly remember is him mentioning Tigers in Manstein's attack... there weren't any Tigers in the south until after Stalingrad was a bad memory. Most of the things I spotted seemed to be geared toward making the Russian successes seem more spectacular (as if they didn't seem so anyway) </font>

A few websites that may interest you for specs and such

Achtung Panzer has details of German kit.

The Russian Battlefield has details of Soviet stuff

The 7th Armoured Website concentrates on the 7th Armoured Divison (obviously) but has details of weapons and tanks common to a lot of Commonwealth units.

As for books the Osprey series seems to be popular with modders and model makers. Their website is: http://www.ospreypublishing.com

[ August 30, 2003, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Firefly ]