Some questions on T34 + KV avaliability + features I would like to see in the patch

A plea for the T-28 to be added in the next patch and some questions on T34 and KV availability and rarity, plus a few other features I would like explained or added to the next patch!

I was a bit surprised by the inclusion of the T-34 and KV tanks from the start of the war but after doing some checking I decided the CMBB introductory dates were not far off.

The first KV-1 was encountered only three days after the invasion by the German Army Group North and the first T-34 was encountered on July 8 1941 – although game has three different T-34 available from invasion start in June.

I have seen various estimates for numbers of T-34s at war beginning from a few hundred still undergoing trials to a around 1000 operational. So depending on your source the T-34 could potentially be encountered in June. However everybody agrees they were very small part of the total T-34

The game has the T-34 appears in June – T-34 M1940 & 41 only 20% rarity and the version with cast turret 50%. This seems to make the T-34 a fairly common tank in T-34 especially compared with the KV, which was actually, encountered - KV-1 1940 30%, KV-1 1939 tank at 80% rarity, KV-2 65% rarity.

I don’t have any data to hand but would assume that the KV-1 1039 was the more common tank because it had been operational longer, rather than rarer because it was been replaced.

How does battlefront determine rarity?

I must make a plea for the inclusion of the T-28 – which must have been a more common ubertank at the start of the war than the T-34 or the KV. OK it is a multiple turreted tank and I have been told that the system can not cope with such tanks. (I will accept you cannot do T-32/T-35.) Can there not be a fudge the two MG turrets – must have had less than 180 rotation – so why the need to treat them as turrets. The Big problem with multi-turret tanks is that commander cannot control all the turrets – this is a good excuse to let the AI fire the turrets at whatever target it wants. Please, please can we have it in the patch.

I noticed that the 81mm mortar is 41 points but the German 81mm is 33 points and Italian offboard 81mm mortar battery is only 53 points – how is this calculated?

A very big moan is that the a points game gives you some information such as amount woods etc, but not other critical information such as is it day or night, fine or snow and if memory serves me correctly if it is an encounter or defence game. Opponents rarely, tell you this information any more. Please can we have this info added to the start screens in the next patch, please... please!

Many thanks for taking the time to read my moans and questions.

:D

Originally posted by Mark Gallear:

... I don’t have any data to hand but would assume that the KV-1 1039 was the more common tank because it had been operational longer, [than T-34]...

In mid '41 the Soviet army had more T-34 than KV-1/2 because of the simple design (fast production). Most of these were in Asia. T-26, T-28, various BT versions and T-60/70 were more common on the western front.

Cheers

Olle

The T28 was not a common tank - only 500 weer ever produced - compared with over 1000 T34's by June 1941 (although not all were with operational units).

Production of the T28 peaked in 1939 with 131 made, but stopped in 1940 with only 13 made that year.

some of them served as late as 1943 on the Leningrad front.

Here's the Russian batlefield site for the T28.

Originally posted by Mark Gallear:

The first KV-1 was encountered only three days after the invasion by the German Army Group North and the first T-34 was encountered on July 8 1941 – although game has three different T-34 available from invasion start in June.

I have seen various estimates for numbers of T-34s at war beginning from a few hundred still undergoing trials to a around 1000 operational. So depending on your source the T-34 could potentially be encountered in June. However everybody agrees they were very small part of the total T-34

The game has the T-34 appears in June – T-34 M1940 & 41 only 20% rarity and the version with cast turret 50%. This seems to make the T-34 a fairly common tank in T-34 especially compared with the KV, which was actually, encountered - KV-1 1940 30%, KV-1 1939 tank at 80% rarity, KV-2 65% rarity.

Zaloga says 967 T-34s were "delivered to units" at the start of Barbarossa, although this says nothing about the condition of the tanks. He also says that the Germans encountered the T-34 "from the very first day of the attack," although apparently many of them did not have armor piercing shells.

Zaloga also describes an attack by the 6th Mech. Corp, which had 238 T-34s and 114 KVs: it began counter-attacking German units on the evening of June 24, and was "disrupted" by Stuka attacks on June 25.