Battle Depot - New Online Map Resource is Now Online

ED

Howdy,

Just a short post to announce I’ve *finally* found the time to put the last touches upon a new online map resource for those of you scenario/operations designers out there. The site is called “Battle Depot” and it will (if time again permits!) also sport some downloadable battles and operations I’ve worked on over the months.

All of the topographical images represent select portions of US Army (1944) 1:100,000 scale maps. The initial selection offerings include: (1) the northern Ardennes, (2) the eastern Normandy sector, (3) the St. Lo region, (4) the Mortain region, and (5) the Falaise region.

The URL is “http://homepage.mac.com/edk/”

Any comments, recommendations or requests are welcomed.

Per initial testing, the site is best viewed w/ Netscape browsers.

Ed Kroening

edk@mac.com kroen@bitstream.net

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by groundpounder:

Works OK for me! Rob/1, try taking the quotes off, "man"

gp<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GP "Man" MYOB!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ACTOR:

Looks great Ed! Nice resource for those making maps. Do you have more?

Keep up the good work.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I have another map of the Vire/Percy area further south in Normandy. I will post it once I slave away scanning it, etc. I have nearly an unlimited access to 1:100,000 scale US Army maps.....as well as some limited access to smaller scale, often more modern maps at 1:25,000 and 1:50,000, etc.

Ed

Guest Napoleon1944

Bowing down to Ed! Superb effort! Now I need the Rhine area maps!

I can start development on a campaign now.

Ed please post a map key on the site. does one grid=1000 yards?

THANKS

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Napoleon1944:

Bowing down to Ed! Superb effort! Now I need the Rhine area maps!

I can start development on a campaign now.

Ed please post a map key on the site. does one grid=1000 yards?

THANKS<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi,

I believe each the language prefacing each map region states that each grid square equals a kilometer.

Happy to hear you enjoy my work so far.

Ed K.

ED,

If you have anything of Hotton Belgium, it would be greatly appreciated.

Even emailed to me would RULE!

Hotton is on the Ourthe River somewhat northeast of Marche and west of Soy...

I have great source info, but can't get an aerial of the place via Terraserver.com.

Any help is welcome,

Stoner

This is just a short blurb to thank all of you who've visited the site and posted words of encouragement either directly (in e-mail) or indirectly (via Battlefront.com's discussion board). The response to the site has been larger and more heartening than I had expected! I would also like thank everyone who has forwarded along URLs to sites whose content relates to that which Battle depot is devoted. If I ever do find the precious time, I will begin organizing them all and place them somewhere on the site.

In the near future, I hope to get around to the task of scanning and prepping a 1:100,000 map of the Vire/Percy region further south of that covered in the St. Lo maps currently available. Once done, I will start procuring additional maps. At present, I'm planning to look into securing maps of the following:

• that area constituting the western "neck" or "cordon" of the Falaise pocket the Germans held — and through which a good number fled encirclement — in August '44

• the western Normandy landing areas (Omaha and Utah) where U.S. forces landed both by sea and air

• Dieppe (the site of the costly 1942 Canadian raid), and

• the Ambleve river basin of Belgium where Joachim Peiper's early, promising thrust during Operation Herbstnebel ("Autumn Mist") eventually petered out, stalled, and was eventually crushed.

I've received a number of requests and inquiries regarding maps of the Rhineland campaign, but am still awaiting further clarification from the interested parties as to what particular areas most interest them. This also pertains to inquiries made about "Bulge" battles and the Third Army's Lorraine campaign. That said, if you have an interest in a particular campaign/operation, it would help me immeasurably if all requests/inquiries were a bit more specific. (The sheer amount of topographical material available to me is staggering, as it is also oftentimes poorly organized and weighty (!) to handle.)

Somewhere down the road, I hope to begin posting actual, period b/w photographs taken by the US Army (and US Army Air Corps) of select immediate locales and towns in which American forces saw active service. These photos would be culled from the US Army's Center of Military History's series of books chronicling the US Army's operations in Western Europe. These photos, I feel, would prove to be an enticing resource for map makers, as more local topography not immediately apparent — or evident — in two-dimensional maps is shown.

Thanks again....

Battle Depot's ever humbled and hobbled web janitor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blackhorse:

ED,

Your site looks great. Keep up the good work. I've bookmarked it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------

Great! How did the maps print out for you?

Ed Kroening

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

While we are here why not just have everyone post their favorite Map web sites on this thread. Lets rekindle the map making sprits for all the lastest CMBO players.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Johnson-<THC>-:

While we are here why not just have everyone post their favorite Map web sites on this thread. Lets rekindle the map making sprits for all the lastest CMBO players.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My two favorites are...

http://www.ign.fr

http://www.ign.be

They have 1:25000 topos and Aerial photographs for sale, some even pre WWII. It helps to be able to read some French when ordering. Two maps and shipping cost me $25 USD.

gp

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ED:

Great! How did the maps print out for you?

Ed Kroening<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't printed any out yet. There's a definite need for on-line maps like the ones you provide, especially for scenario designers.

Speaking of which, I'm looking forward to the scenarios and operations you have coming.

Regards,

Chris