CMBB install hell - pls HELP!!

Hi, just bought a brand-spanking new PC, an AMD 2600+, Radeon 9700 Pro, running on XP Pro.

Just got my CMBB disc out of the old PC`s drive, banged it in the new one and urgh..it won`t read.

I have 2 drives, one DVD, one writer, and neither drive will work. What happens is that the cmbb installer file is shown in explorer but then when i double click to install, the drives just spin up and down and eventually the system locks up, it can be retrieved by ejecting.

The CD still works great on the older PC so I know it is not faulty.

Pls help!! Is this a copy protection issue?

Thanks

Wesreidau

[ April 05, 2003, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Wesreidau ]

I assume that you have the CDV version of CMBB. If that's the case then there's the possibility that your drives have a problem reading the 'SafeDisc' security format of the CD. SafeDisc makes copying a CD next to impossible by formatting it outside of the RedBook (Yellow/Orange ?) CD specification. This may cause problems with a number of drives, which end up being capable of reading the CD's TOC, but not the rest of the CD. Though if this were your specific case I'm not sure why you wouldn't get an error saying that the drive is unreadable.

I'd suggest 'killing' every program that you may have running (anti-virus, utilities, especially any utilities that involve the CD/DVD/CDRW) to prevent any possible problems.

Despite this minor suggestion, you may continue to have problems. The next step would be to permanently or temporarily swap one of your drives with the one in your old PC and see if this enables reading it.

I don't know of any particular lists of drives that pose compatibility problems with the SafeDisc format. Macrovision doesn't seem to mention anything on their website, nor does CDV and they use this format on all of their games to my knowledge. If none of the solutions works for you or you consider them a 'hardship' it may be possible that CDV will refund you the cost of CMBB (by sending it back to them with an RMA after somehow contacting them). Then hit up someone else outside of Europe for the BTS/Internet version.

• 3 months later...

Just a quick note:

I just suffered the same problem. I recently bought a new computer (3 Ghz P4, 9800 Radeon Pro, Intel board, DvD drive, CD drive) and when I tried to reinstall CMBB from the original disk I experienced the same endless loop of drive activity described above. I also have the Non-CDV version. I will try to network my old pc with the new one and share files BUT is there another answer? I would hope I could use the original CD directly for an install.

MSD

EightBall,

Try and copy the full install file from the CD right to the computers hard drive and THEN run it.

For various reasons, it seems that newer CD drives can have problems reading CD's as full as CMBB while older CD drives are much more tolerant.

Madmatt

Thanks for the suggestion. Gave it a try to no avail. Neither of my drives seems to want to recognize the CMBB files. The file appears when I explore the disc but I cannot seem to get it copied over - basically my drives freeze up.

Happily I can at least directly install my original copy of CMBO with no problems. I am installing CMBB on another PC then merely making several CDs and then transferring it over. Time consuming however it will at least let me play.

If by chance you can think of another approach I am all ears. Once again I thank you for your time so far.

MSD