Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Fallschirmjagers on the Eastern Front

I mention Fallschirmjaeger on my GD site, I believe two divisions saw action at various times on the Eastern Front, of the several divisions formed.

And to be nitpicky, I believe the plural of Fallschirmjäger is Fallschirmjäger.....

EDIT - awesome link, Barticus, could have used that when I was doing my quick and dirty research on who's who.

[ September 15, 2002, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Originally posted by omni:

I tried looking info up on google, but none of it said what happened, just that they took a 52% loss, something like 4000 men in the raid or something. Any info to what happened would be cool :D

Who they were attacking and such.

Very briefly, the British were defending the Greek island of Crete with mostly Australian and New Zealand forces which had recently been evacuated from the mainland following a disastrous attempt to aid the Greeks against the Germans and Italians. In the process they had to leave virtually all of their equipment behind.

The Germans invaded with the 7th. Flieger Division (paratroopers). It was very nearly a disaster for them as many of the planes carrying them were shot up, troopers were shot while still descending in their parachutes, or after landing on open ground that was well covered by machine guns and the little artillery the Brits had on hand.

After a couple days of desperate fighting, the Germans were finally able to secure the Maleme airfield and fly in a Mountain division to reinforce them, and that decisively turned the tide of the battle. Once again, the British were forced to evacuate their surviving troops.

I also read about some Attack on Belgian forts, that gained them fame, what happened here?
One fort, Eban Emael. A seemingly impregnable obstacle to the invasion of Belgium, it was captured by a handful of troops landing in gliders on the unguarded roof who disabled the armored cupolas of the guns with hollow charge demolitions.

Michael