Proposal for Conscripts

i think that perhaps conscripts should - by default - be given very minimal ammo when purchased in a qb or scenario editor.

ideally, the scenario editor would have a setting for ammo loads... min... med... max... when purchasing units of any type.

then the default for crack and elite would be 'max' and green, veteran, and regular would be 'med' and conscript, 'min.'

in any event it seems to me that stories abound of soviets in the early going without ammo, or germans in the late-going having only panzerfausts.

setting conscripts to 'min' ammo by default would reflect this. late-war german conscripts could have low ammo, but decent amounts of panzerfausts.

Its not that simple, you have to go through every unit and lower the number, anywhere from 45 to 50 or higher, down to 0 (which shows up a low in the game) When you have a company or more of troops that can take a long time. Also a units level has nothing to do with the amount ammo they can hold.

i'm not sure you understood what i was trying to say... that's probably my fault for combining a couple of different topics into one post...

i would still contend in general that conscripts would have a lot less ammo than other troop types... if this were automatically in the game then you wouldn't have to re-set the ammo for every conscript unit to 'low' or whatever... that is how it is now, however...

For ammo it would depend more on the Company and/or Battalion, rather then the quality of the squad. If you were talking about early war soviet units it didn't matter what level the troops were they had an ammo shortage, in fact entire battalions and regiments went into action without ammo. As for say, German Volkssturm units, I can see them having less ammo but aside from that its not very realistic.

[ December 23, 2002, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

wouldn't a conscript unit by definition though have low ammo pretty much all the time?

ok... supposing i'm completely wrong about this (and it wouldn't be the first or last time)...

what about in the editor?

an ability in the unit purchase screen to set 'low' 'med' and 'high' or somefink?... this would save me for one a lot of time... it seems to me that would be useful...

Most of the time a unit had a standard ammo load for each person in the squad, thus the squad would have a set amount. Although some very skilled, persons may be given extra ammo because of their skill. In most cases there is no need to change the ammo load (other than for long battles, or if you want to show that a unit has been in combat before the battle you are playing) in the editor so this isn't really practical IMO anyway.