52nd. Panzer Grenadier Regiment. July 1941

Abbott

Originally posted by Abbott:

Thank you for the reply's. No information found on the 52nd. Pzgr. Regt. yet but I enjoyed the sites you listed.

52. Panzer Grenadier regiment was one of 18.Panzer-Division Mot. Inf. Regiments :rolleyes:

The other one was the 101. Panzer Grenadier Regiment. If you look at the divisional TOE of the 18th Panzer, you'll see a black squared flag with a 52 next to it. It's the 52nd Panzer Grenadier Regiment. There's a lot of info hidden there. For example, it seems the 1st company of the 1st battalion was mechanized while the rest of companies were motorized. Every infantry company had 18 LMGs, 2 HMGs and 3 50 mm mortars while the support company of each battalion had 6 81 mm mortars and 8 HMGs.

:rolleyes:

[ September 27, 2002, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Fernando ]

Thanks for writing that out Fernando. My poor eyesight made the page all but unreadable for me with the symbology being so small. Your post helped a bunch.

I am still looking for combat readiness reports for early July 1941 if anyone else has some information.

Thanks.

[QB]Thanks for writing that out Fernando. My poor eyesight made the page all but unreadable for me with the symbology being so small. Your post helped a bunch.

QB]

You can right click on the 18.Panzer-Division TOE and paste it on a Word document. Then you only have to zoom in until the image is large enough for you.

Thanks for writing that out Fernando. My poor eyesight made the page all but unreadable for me with the symbology being so small. Your post helped a bunch.

I am still looking for combat readiness reports for early July 1941 if anyone else has some information.

Thanks.

Abbott, you have probably noticed that Fernando's site link gives you the status as of 22 June 41. I checked in Glantz 'The early period', and it does not seem as if 18th Panzer was in massive fighting until Smolensk, so for early July, just two weeks into the campaign, I would set the regiment at 80-90% or thereabouts.

I'm not sure that diagram gives the actual strengths of the units on 22nd June 1941, rather the authorised.

I agree with Andreas that it would be about 80-90% of that - it was involved in it's fair bit of fighting early in the campaign going from Guderian's 'Panzer Leader'. According to him the 18th Panzer Division was the first in 2. Panzer Gruppe to meet the T34. This was at the bridgehead across the Beresina at Borisov on 1st July. Were you planning a scenario about this??

Originally posted by Gary T:

I'm not sure that diagram gives the actual strengths of the units on 22nd June 1941, rather the authorised.

I agree with Andreas that it would be about 80-90% of that - it was involved in it's fair bit of fighting early in the campaign going from Guderian's 'Panzer Leader'. According to him the 18th Panzer Division was the first in 2. Panzer Gruppe to meet the T34. This was at the bridgehead across the Beresina at Borisov on 1st July. Were you planning a scenario about this??

Yes, I am working on a scenario and operation on the Borisov bridgehead expansion by the 18th panzer division. The information I have so far is the 52nd. PzGr. Regiment was instrumental in expanding the Borisov bridgehead.