Defensive constructions in CMBB???

I was reading the CMMC engineering rules for a campaing some m8s are going to do and wondered if CMBB will have more defensive contructions.

As far as I know, in CMBB there will be the same defenses and a few more like trenches and the possiblity to place craters in the scen editor. I wonder if the guys at BFC could give us a little preview of other defenses (if there are).

The list of possible defenses can be very large:

-larger minefields

-sand bags

-sand bag shelters

-dug in shelters

-anti tank trenches

-more types of bunkers

-dragon's teeth

I would like too if:

-those types of contructions don't count on the unit counter. I mean, in very large scenarios (regimental size! i have done them in CMBO)or not so large if u want to make large walls of defenses etc your unit counter can go very low very fast.

-those units don´t cost so much money as they do now.

an other question is about bridging operations, there will be any representation of pontoon b ridges of different load values (light, heavy, medium) or size (longer, shorter, etc) if no it could be a nice job for modders.

there is any mod of pontoon bridges in CMBO?

well, just that smile.gif

I forgot to say that those kind of constructions shouldn´t count too because they are not very "dangerous" to the FPS (because are low poly-count and because are very similar to any other terrain shape)

plz bump! ;)

Originally posted by KNac:

-those units don´t cost so much money as they do now.

It's worth keeping in mind when discussing the purchase of units that their "price" has nothing to do with the economics of their production in the real world. Those numbers represent the game designers estimate of their effectiveness on the battlefield. They are essentially a game balancing device.

That said, I think it is recognized that the existing costs for things like wire and mines are undeservedly high. I believe those costs have been adjusted downward for CM:BO, which should be more in line with what you are asking for.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

It's worth keeping in mind when discussing the purchase of units that their "price" has nothing to do with the economics of their production in the real world.

Actually I would prefer unit prices being directly related to production costs. This would be-

1- More realistic.

2- Solving the issue of 'Rarity'. Those items that were common were so because they could be produced cheaply in large numbers.

3- Solving many play balance issues. King Tigers and such would be insanely expensive.

Actually I would prefer unit prices being directly related to production costs. This would be-

1- More realistic.

2- Solving the issue of 'Rarity'.

Wouldn't that totally screw up the QB system? Shouldn't the opponents have forces with balanced _combat_ effectiveness? Not equal price tags?

And for a scenario it doesn't matter, does it?

Originally posted by Tarqulene:

Shouldn't the opponents have forces with balanced _combat_ effectiveness? Not equal price tags?

I don´t think it would be so unbalanced. Equal price tags should mean similar combat effectiveness most of the time. If it turns out one side is disadvantaged, give them more money (similar to Attacker getting more money).

Originally posted by Austrian Strategist:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael emrys:

It's worth keeping in mind when discussing the purchase of units that their "price" has nothing to do with the economics of their production in the real world.

1- More realistic.

2- Solving the issue of 'Rarity'. Those items that were common were so because they could be produced cheaply in large numbers.

3- Solving many play balance issues. King Tigers and such would be insanely expensive.</font>

yeah, what Yankee Dog said, plus keep in mind that your average P-51 or P-47 fighter bomber was 50,000 to 100,000 USD at the time, which means that it would be in the same price league as a tank is right now.

And artillery would what? the price of all the guns of the battery, or just the price of the limited number of incoming shells?

the "prices" have to be adjusted manually by BTS...ooops, "Battlefront.com", it's the only way to make it work.

Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

yeah, what Yankee Dog said, plus keep in mind that your average P-51 or P-47 fighter bomber was 50,000 to 100,000 USD at the time, which means that it would be in the same price league as a tank is right now.

And artillery would what? the price of all the guns of the battery, or just the price of the limited number of incoming shells?

Yankee has good points; on the other hand I do not understand the two problems above.

-Do you mean that fighter bombers would be very common? They were: The main reason why the Allies won the campaign. Goering probably should have come up with a set of Fionn Rules. :D:D:D

-All units in a CM game are 'rented'. Therefore: Artillery = price of the Battery; yup.

Originally posted by wwb_99:

Screw the pricing system. Play scenarios.

Oh no. It´s fun to pick your own force. And in the final analysis, I will be happy with any pricing system that comes close to giving historic results. If 'Rarity' does that, I give it my blessings. smile.gif

Edit: Btw, back to the original topic: What spectacular new Fortifications are in? (My favourite would be the 4-storey-deep super-bunker-systems of Sevastopol; to knock them out we would also need the Railgun Dora; how about that? :D )

[ June 20, 2002, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: Austrian Strategist ]

Originally posted by Austrian Strategist:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by wwb_99:

Oh no. It´s fun to pick your own force. And in the final analysis, I will be happy with any pricing system that comes close to giving historic results. If 'Rarity' does that, I give it my blessings. smile.gif

</font>

Come on!

Taxpayers pay for the guns, not field commanders tongue.gif

I don't think your average battalion commander has that much say in what kind of hardware is shipped your way.. Sure, you can request JagdPanthers, but.. IMHO, rarity coupled with buying vehicles and guns in batteries and sections instead of ala carte should make it a little bit less boy's own tale.

Originally posted by wwb_99:

I agree, but doesn't the pricing system affect scenarios too? True, in a scenario you don't 'buy' your units at the start, but you do still 'pay' for them when they die, and the cost you pay is based on the pricing system.

IIRC.

Regards

JonS

Originally posted by JonS:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by wwb_99:

[qb]Screw the pricing system. Play scenarios.

I agree, but doesn't the pricing system affect scenarios too? True, in a scenario you don't 'buy' your units at the start, but you do still 'pay' for them when they die, and the cost you pay is based on the pricing system.</font>

Originally posted by JonS:

I agree, but doesn't the pricing system affect scenarios too? True, in a scenario you don't 'buy' your units at the start, but you do still 'pay' for them when they die, and the cost you pay is based on the pricing system.

Hey, now there's a neat idea. What if the loss 'cost' of a unit was dependent of it's overall value as a fighting unit, rather than it's effectiveness on the CM battlefield, as QB purchase price is (and current loss cost)?

Admittedly, loss 'cost' is already tweaked a little bit for some units like heavy weapons and vehicle crews cost additional points if you lose them, I suppose refelecting the additional value these specially trained troops have, and discouraging their use as 'suicide scouts'.

There are some units that don't really see their full potential on the CM battlefield. SP artillery, for example, isn't really intended to be used as a DF weapon - it was certainly used as such, but much of it's usfulness was when used as and indirect fire weapon - the fact that it was mobile meant that it could be moved quickly forward to help support an advance, for example. In terms of "overall" unit value, one can argue that Priest, Sextons and Hummels should have a higher "loss cost" than their QB purchase price.

The big place where I think this might help the game is with lightly or completely unarmored transport vehicles. These units have very limited utility on the CM battlefield, but in fact were very useful overall, facilitating mobility and communication for an army. Giving them a somewhat higher "loss cost" would discourage tactics such as the infamous "jeep rush". I imagine regimental command would be really pissed if a batallion commander lost every jeep in the motor pool in an effort to uncover enemy AT guns!!.

Cheers,

YD

Originally posted by YankeeDog:

I imagine regimental command would be really pissed if a batallion commander lost every jeep in the motor pool in an effort to uncover enemy AT guns!!

Not really. It would be a relatively cheap way to get an enemy to reveal the position of his AT assets. In fact, it is part of the Patton mythos that once he ordered a lieutenant to get in his jeep and "Drive down that road until you get blown up and then come back and report to me!"

Michael

[ June 21, 2002, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by YankeeDog:

I imagine regimental command would be really pissed if a batallion commander lost every jeep in the motor pool in an effort to uncover enemy AT guns!!

Not really. It would be a relatively cheap way to get an enemy to reveal the position of his AT assets. In fact, it is part of the Patton mythos that once he ordered a lieutenant to get in his jeep and "Drive down that road until you get blown up and then come back and report to me!"

Michael</font>

Originally posted by YankeeDog:

Snort. I knew it!! Patton was a gamey bastard!!

'Tis true. He'd do anything to win. Stole gas from other armies. Why he even started preparations to pull divisions out of the line in Lorrain to send them into the Bulge before Ike gave the order. That's sneaky if you ask me! Like getting a double move before your opponent gets a move.

Michael