General Armor question

While reading the translation of Panzer Vorwärts! Aber mit Verstand!(at http://www.uwm.edu/~jpipes/pnzfwd.html), I noticed that #8(8. In the attack drive as fast as you can. At slow speed you can see and shoot only a little better than at high, and are much more likely to be hit. For a tank there should be only two speeds: the half (for firing!) and all out forward. This is the basic principal of tank combat!) is exactly the opposite of what I'd been doing in CM. Infact, I've been playing at Move speed and stop for firing(either manually or with the hunt command). In general, I was under the impression that without gyroscopes or some other stabalizing gear firing became more difficult the faster you went over uneven terrain, so it didn't seem to make sense to move fast and fire.

My question is, does move and shoot work better than move stop and shoot? Or does this rule not really apply to CM?

I would have thought that a tank should be firing while stopped or not at all. I seem to remember reading that many US tank crews disabled their gyrostabilisers because they just wouldn't fire on the move, assisted or not. The hunt command seems to combine careful movement with stopping to fire. I tend to move tanks at high speed, especially if it's going to involve turning sideways on the enemy. (Even then I only do it when there's no enemy tanks or A/T in sight or range.)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pham911:

My question is, does move and shoot work better than move stop and shoot? Or does this rule not really apply to CM? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Both have their applications. The allies in general can shoot while moving a little better due to their faster turrets. (I don't think I've ever seen a SP gun do this.) Gyros or no, any fire while moving is going to be less accurate than while stopped. If you use the HUNT command, the AI will choose the mode it thinks is better suited to the situation (firing while fleeing is better than just fleeing smile.gif )

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

The biggest difference in bogging. I don't move my tanks at FAST unless they're on a road. Even then, I generally do a lot of infantry screening and spend a fair amount of time stopped while I scout out, and then move forward in bursts.

I have to say I tend to have the light tanks and the armored cars almost always in Fast-Move mode. Their speed seems to be their saving grace. In one scenario, three fast-moving M8 Armored cars roared around a corner into the midst of a German vehicle column and started firing. Result - 3 dead Pumas and 3 dead PZIV H's - no injured M8's. The German vehicles just couldn't bring their guns to bear fast enough. The Armored cars then ran merrily down the road sidestepping shots from other vehicles and pillboxes until they disappeared over a small hill.

I had to run these scenes over at least a dozen times with views from each vehicle in View 1 - now that was fun! I've even had one M8 run directly towards a Jagdpanzer IV at full speed in a straight line going down hill, around it and past the AT guns. Once he's past the danger zone, he now becomes the danger. smile.gif