BETA: Arnhem Bridge - Historical Version

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pak40:

Now available at CMHQ

This is a more Historical Arnhem Bridge Operation than the one provided by the game. More Detail in regards to the layout of the city and OOB for both sides.

This is a Beta version and User feedback is welcome, good or bad.

email feedback to me:

jroland2@home.com

thanks,

jeff

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where is it at exactly?

Guest WildBill

Hey Jeff,

I've downloaded your historical Arnhem Bridge Operation and have a few questions. How are you going to simulate the attacks across the bridge? I know there were attacks from the south.

If your enemy forces enter from the west, how will you get them to cross the bridge?

Have you finished the map? I see large spaces that are empty. Are you going to fill those in? The part that you have done, by the way, looks very good. There are some uneven spots but all in all it looks quite like the city of Arnhem.

There is a German pillbox out in the open in the NE corner. Is that where it is supposed to be?

How many battles? Looks like 6. I'll look at the parameters and find out. Should be interesting to see how this develops. Good luck with it.

------------------

Wild Bill Wilder

Wild Bill's Raiders

Director of Scenario Design, The Gamers Net

http://wbr.thegamers.net

Hi Bill,

here are some answers to your questions:

I thought long and hard about Graebners famous attempt to cross the bridge from the south on the second day. If the editor gave me the power to restrict reinforcement deployment to certain sides of the map then I would be in great shape. But, as you know, there's no way to do this in an operation. One of the historical inaccuracies we'll have to live with. For people who are historical nuts like me, you can (if you're the Germans) force yourself to deploy your units historically.

One word of note: Playing as the germans against the British computer AI wont be very good. There is no way set the Bridge as the objective in the Operation. Therefore, the Brits wont make that dash for the bridge. Another shortcomming of the editor.

Another fellow(actually two different guys are in the works of and Arnhem Op) emailed me today stating that he was also in the process of making the Arnhem Bridge Op. He, however, is starting his Op with the Brits alredy in control of the bridge. I might make a version like this, but I kind of like having the Brits rush to the bridge within a limited time. This will be a nice little challenge for most people on the British side.

Yes, there is a section of the map on the lower left side (north east) that I left out. I wanted to see how much CPU power all of these buildings ate up before putting these in. At one point in the operation, there will be a lot of units on the board. I want to make sure that most computers wont't chug when playing. The section of map I left out is a part where there shouldn't be any fighting. It didn't play much of a roll in the real battle.

oops, that pillbox is still there? I forgot to delete that sucker. I'll get it next time. It shouldnt cause any harm in that area.

I bought a new book tonight that has very detaild OOB for the Brits and it differs a little bit from what I have, so I'll be making some tweaks to their ranks.

I'll probably post version 1.0 this weekend.

thanks for the feedback and complements.

Jeff

No problem. I really wish you well with it.

Like you I was faced with the option of bridge attack or no bridge attack.

In the first battle I was able to have attacks from both directions, but after that the AI wanted it either from the south or the north side.

You opted for the north side. You are correct. I opted for the bridge fight. Either way, the entire battle with the Operations system as is just can't produce the whole shebang as either you or I wanted.

Too bad.

I think, however, your approach is a good one. You did a superb job on the bridge itself. That is no easy feat with the editor wink.gif

I intend to play it. I see it is 12 battles! Now that should be some fighting! eek.gif

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

Bill,

One more thing before you play:

It has just come to my attention that the editor resets the size of no mans land to 400 every time I open the scenario. Therefore, the Beta version will not be very playable. I intended to use zero to simulate the close action of everything. I wish they had a 40 meter option, that would be perfect.

I think we ought to post a warning to scenario designers about this bug. What do you think?

Jeff

Wild Bill,

Nevermind, they have fixed this in 1.04 - was still designing in 1.03 but now I'm current.

I have a question for you since you're the scenario designer guru:

At the end of my first battle on my Arnhem Op, I had a two or three platoons reach the bridge, but the bulk of my force was still 300+ meters away. On the setup for my second battle I got two setup zones, red and white. The red one contained the bulk of land I had traversed and all my units. The white one was near the bridge but contained no units. Why does the operation even make a white area if it's going to put all of my units back in the red zone?

Any clues? Any rememdies for this? (I do have the no mans land set to zero meters now.)

thanks

None at all, Jeff. Designing operations in CM was one of the hardest things I have yet to do in scenario design.

You never really know from battle to battle or from one play of a campaign to the next just exactly what is going to happen.

I've heard of this happening to one other person. I never could personally determine just why.

Agreed on No Man's Land..another one I learned "the hard way." For urban combat I did the same with "A Second Job."

When I get to battle 2, I'll let you know how mine sets up. Should be interesting to compare notes.. Good luck with it.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com