Crossroads: new scenario for CM 1.04

With the release of CM 1.04, All of the problems I had with this scenario have been fixed. Nice job, BTS!

In Crossroads (a fictional scenario), Allied armor attempts to cut off a German retreat. It's pretty short (20 turns) and intense. Give it a try at:

http://users.erols.com/chare/cm/Crossroads.zip

Playable from both sides, though the German commander will have a tougher time of it. Should be PBEM-able, though may not be suitable for ladder games given the variable entry times for reinforcements.

Just make sure you're using CM 1.04. Enjoy!

- Chris

[This message has been edited by Wolfe (edited 08-19-2000).]

To Wolfe,

Great Scenario, I would give it a 5

Just upgraded to ver 1.04 yesterday

Played the scenario last night.

AS allied force I won, but most my armor and

german armor smoking hulks.

Thanks again

senor Player age 63

Lane

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>what an armored clash!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh. It really wasn't originally intended to be a big armored clash, it just sort of kept getting bigger and bigger. smile.gif I also took out a lot of the infantry that was supposed to be retreating along with the rest of the column; it was just too tedious to deal with when playing.

Played as Germans yet?

- Chris

***********SPOILER MAYBE smile.gif ****************

No not yet, and when I do I think I am going to give myself a slight advantage (+50%) on the first try. Just to even things up a bit.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I think I am going to give myself a slight advantage (+50%) on the first try.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm. Of all the ways I tried to break the scenario, that is one I haven't tried. I'm not sure what will happen. You'll be giving yourself more units, but that may have the *opposite* effect of what you intend. If all those new units are required to be driven off the map in order to get points for them, you may end up losing more easily than if you played it straight up! I may have to try that one myself.

- Chris

Yep, you definitely shouldn't do that. I just tried giving myself 50% more forces as Axis, and it did indeed require that *ALL* those new forces must be driven off the map to get points for them. You do have more firepower, but you're making it harder to win overall.

BTW, I knew this one would be tough for the Germans, but I decided against giving the Axis extra points (to try to balance the scenario) because a fighting withdrawal isn't *supposed* to be easy. And you can definitely get a major victory as Axis if you do things well. Of course, if you do them poorly, you get punished ... severely. Which is rather what I wanted. biggrin.gif

One of the things I learned from playing this scenario over and over is how to move units more efficiently. Such as:

* Units with higher experience levels (Vet) will begin moving before those with less (Regular).

* You can use both halves of a road to make 2 columns: fast units on one side, slow on the other.

* Very fast vehicles (HTs, trucks) may be better off riding next to the road rather than on it.

* In confined movement spaces with many vehicles, 'Move' works better than 'Fast'.

* Starting the vehicles out in front on 'Fast', and even pausing some of the vehicles near the back will space them out better.

* Setting a large number of waypoints for each unit (though tedious) gives you great flexibility since the waypoints can be moved on the next turn if need be. And 'Rounding off' corners with multiple waypoints is much better than just creating a 90 degree turn with 1 waypoint; the vehicle doesn't slow as much. In some cases, a vehicle with only 1 waypoint will simply stop, rotate, and then begin moving again once oriented correctly, which you definitely want to avoid.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

- Chris