CMBO - How to make my tanks stop firing

In the years I've been playing CMBO I've never run into this problem. Maybe someone can offer a solution or an explanation...

I'm in a PBEM game and I have a group of 5 jumbo shermans engaging 2 Hetzers. One Hetzer is knocked out and the other Hetzer's gun is damaged. I saw the hit detail say "Gun Hit" and the Hetzer hasn't fired for over two turns.

However, because the crew hasn't abandoned the Hetzer my Sherms continue to waste AP rounds on it. The Hetzer is in a hull down position so my Shermans fire round afer round at the disabled Hetzer, despite the fact that I cancel their targeting orders at the beginning of each turn.

1. How can I get My Sherman to stop "auto-targeting the disabled Hetzer and wasting valuable AP rounds?

2. Even though the Hetzer is in hull down position why haven't my 5 sherms been able to get a penetrating hit on this thing yet?

Also, My shermans are in a somewhat narrow strip between a river and a cliff so positioning for a flanking shot would be very risky and difficult as I'm confident there is trouble just beyond these Hetzers ( AT pillbox and possibly a Tiger ).

[ November 25, 2002, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: Green Hornet ]

IMHO the AI is playing realistically and you are playing god.

Playing with Detailed Armor Hits off is part of true Fog of War. You should not have info about gun hits and immobilization, spalling inside the turret, shocked, crew casualties and the like.

Since your AI tankers still see a viable target, they keep shooting until there is smoke, fire or a bail out.

On the other foot... to each his own... Toad

Louie the Toad,

VERY good point...and, to be honest, I thought about that. I realize that there really wouldn't be any definitive way for the tank crews to know that the gun had been hit.

However, ( and these are sincere questions ) would tanks crew members begin to suspect that the gun was probably damaged if the enemy tank was not returning fire? This Hetzer has not fired a shot in over two rounds. Maybe two rounds (minutes) is too soon, but would there be a point at which the tank crews would start to suspect that the gun is no longer functional (and thereby stop firing at it)?

[ November 30, 2002, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: Green Hornet ]

Dear Green Hornet

Maybe IRL the tank platoon leader would order one tank to knock out the possible threat while the others went on to new business.

I recall while playing August Bank Holiday, where I thought my forces had gun hit an enemy tank. It stopped moving, its barrel was pointing away from my forces, it didnt fire for several turns. There were lots of other targets and threats, so I moved on to engage those. Suddenly after a few turns this tank 'came to life' and gave me a lesson I will never forget.

Taught Toad

louie, i've seen this before. an enemy tank sits there doing nothing for a couple of minutes and the thinking is, "they're gonnas! concentrate on some real threats"... then the bugger comes to life!

this is were the crew have possibly taken a casualty and are in a "shocked" state. they're not doing much cos they've just lost their commander or driver or whatever... then, after a couple of minutes the buggers get a grip and start pasting any of my guys they can see!

i think that's pretty cool. served me right for ignoring them instead of finishing them off.

cheers

das