The Mud, the blood, and the gear

Okay, time for another Grogology study. Now for those who have forfeited their life for a devotion to CM, spurning wine, women, and dance, for the pleasures of churning out AI tests with the little cyber vehicles on the screen, here is a question of interest that demands a scientific answer.

In ground conditions that are prone to bogging, rain, damp, mud, snow, etc., is there a gear ratio for vehicles that is less likely to bog? Stated yet another way just to ensure confusion to the newbie, which of the movement commands, move, hunt, or fast, be most likely to cause a bog? It is understood that vehicle weight variences play a determinant factor in this question, and for the purposes of formulating a baseline of measurement, lets assume we are dealing with one particular set of vehicles, let's say the medium tank variety of weights.

This question stems from my observations of late, that utilization of the "move" command seem (seem I say), more likely to cause not only a bog reaction (with medium tanks), but also a burn out of the engine resulting in immobilization, whereas the "hunt" command appears (appears I say), to be less prone to such results. Which, in my opinion seem to be somewhat illogical. At least on first consideration, but is there more there than meets the eye. For example, a vehicle moving slowly through mud, might be more prone to bogging than a vehicle moving a little faster through the mud, due to the weight of the vehicle and its forward momentum factor?

See, mud gets deep. smile.gif

Good link, though not conclusive. What would be? Still, can't help but think from experience that move seems to increase the chances slightly. Particularly, the resulting engine burnout. Nothing about that in the tests. That might be more dependent upon the length of the movement order than the type. Could just be coincedence ofcourse, but seems that lately for some reason I've had a high percentage of bog and burnout, whereas before I would bog, then be able to back out of it.

Well, this has been an intelligent conversation. Thanks guys, your all schwell fellers.

There is a bigger chance of bogging on a move command because the driver of the vehicle will go at the predetermined move speed no matter what (see the manual : "move" means "get there, ignore everything").

When you give a hunt command you will see the vehicle move much slower than moving speed on bad terrain (whereas it's the other way around in dry conditions), because the driver is at liberty to take whatever caution he deems necessary.

My 2c theory.

[ April 04, 2002, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Sgt_Kelly ]