mac networking

My son desperately want to play me on a less powerful mac using a network cable. My office (at home) i use an imac and he has a performa 5260cd.

we tried to use the performa with the demo game but it was too sluggish and didnt have the right system software to handle the 3d

If I connect up to the imac with a cable will it work ie will the performa lean on the imac and allow itself to be piggy backed or will the performa drag its tail

peter

Hi DD:

If you found the Performa to be too slow to play the game, then as Barticus said, networking to to an iMac isn't going to help.

It *will* help during the movie creation phase, however. The faster iMac should pick up the job of creating the movie, then send it to the Performa.

In order to network the two machines, your best set-up will be to use an Ethernet hub or switch and two cables.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Deadly Dave:

If I connect up to the imac with a cable will it work ie will the performa lean on the imac and allow itself to be piggy backed or will the performa drag its tail <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Just had a brilliant idea why dont I but another imac

thanks for the help people<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent idea ;) A 700mhz iMac would be lovely, but you might consider picking up an older model 466mhz G4 for close to the same price (+ screen, maybe your old performa screen might work in a pinch)

A crossover cable will be required, you'll have to set the IP numbers by hand, but to avoid the hassle I'd get a DSL/Cable router/hub combo for about $99 and let the DHCP function of the router give your macs their new IP's automatically. You'll be able to share your internet connection also.

Gyrene