Singling/Bining?

Howdy all. In Ken Macksey's _Tank v Tank_ he recounts briefly a battle fought over a small town called Bining, which the US desired to help in the effort to take Singling, a larger town.

The initial attempt, by Combat Command A of the US regiment, was repulsed so soundly that the US forces didn't even know exactly what they were facing. The next day CCB tried again, and then fought a pitched, day-long battle for control of the town. Ironically, before the control of Bining had been fully settled, the Germans decided to evacuate Singling and Bining, making the whole thing rather pointless. Macksey uses this battle, however, to show some cool points about German armor tactics and technology, and the US response. The battle also had one US tanker who was instrumental in the US performance that transpired. With a 75mm Sherman he knocked out 2 tanks that he really wasn't supposed to be able to kill, and forced a third to leave the field of battle.

I want to recreate this battle, and maybe the Singling operation, but I'm having trouble finding info, and Macksey's book is in another state so I don't even know what units were in it!

If anybody can help, feel free to send an email to me and/or reply here.

Thanks

DjB

Guest Madmatt

There was a really cool scenario made up during the beta process called Singling Shootout. I *thought* (dont hold me to this) that it was done by Dick Reece but I honestly can't be sure of that.

All I remember was that it was VERY cool and I bounced so many harmless 75mm AP rounds off a tracked Panther that he finally bailed out!

Perhaps I can get the author to allow me (or any of the other CM sites )to post this one as it was alot of fun...

Madmatt

p.s. Come to think of it was the FIRST pre-designed scenario for CM I played way back in January when I got my first beta-version...

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 06-20-2000).]

Doug and MadMatt,

Singling Shootout is my scenario design and it is on the game CD. I used the book "Small Unit Actions" printed by the Historical Division - US War Department for the map and battle details. Some of the officers that fought in the battle thought until that night that the battle they fought on 6 Dec 44 was in Bining instead of Singling. "Small Unit Actions" is the best source that I've read on the 4th Armored Divisions actions around Singling and Bining. If I can help with anything else, let me know.

Terry "T-Mo" Simo

Wild Bill's Raiders

Scenario Design Team