Spoilers! Yelnia Stare and why the russian tanks are so cautious

All one has to do is to put the germany inf deep inside the woods and keep the 37 AT guns on flanking positions and make sure not to move around anything.

My question is why were the russian tanks sitting back when they easily could have routed the inf?

Would vetern russian tanks do this too?

[ September 01, 2002, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: BlueSteal ]

Originally posted by BlueSteal:

All one has to do is put the germany inf deep inside the woods and keep the 37 AT guns on flanking positions and not touch move around anything.

My question is why were the russian tanks sitting back when they easily could have routed by inf?

Hey BS, would you mind putting the word SPOILERS in your thread title and maybe doing something like starting your post with this:

WARNING: SPOILERS!!!

so that people not bright enough to figure out by the thread title that there might be spoilers won't stumble across details like what kind of units or guns the Germans or Russians have?

Thanks!

Steve

Originally posted by BlueSteal:

All one has to do is to put the germany inf deep inside the woods and keep the 37 AT guns on flanking positions and make sure not to move around anything.

My question is why were the russian tanks sitting back when they easily could have routed the inf?

That would seem entirely logical to me. You don't (usually) go waltzing around with tanks, you keep 'em back 'cause they don't need to be close. I was absolutely thrilled to see the tanks hanging back instead of the CMBO behavior where they sprint forward.

hmmm

SPOILER

I just finished that scenario as the Soviets and was getting nowhere fast with my infan, human wave or not. Until, I moved my tanks fwd. The ATG's were quicky suppressed and destroyed by the mass of MG Motar and tank fire, lost one tank. Stupid AI needs to learn to use Covered Arcs and wait for flank shots. For the next 10 turns tanks hunted around in tight groups supported by MGs and motars and anhilated most the defending troops at close range, canister is great. Did not loose a single tank to Infan, only one molotov was thrown. around turn 19 I started my human wave again, worked great now there weren't any germans firing at them. Germans gave up next turn.

Would'nt work well against competent human though. But vs the AI I don't think you need the infantry to win.