A thought....

When Im playing, I usually only find out an enemy unit's experience level after my own men have been in close quarter combat with them.

Thus, I find it realistic.

Why?

I think combat troops would generally be able to tell the difference in performance between conscripts (forgetting basic drills, making stupid mistakes, looking like they are lost in the middle of a firefight), regulars (doing most of the drills, generally not doing as much mistakes, more or less coordinated), and veterans + (instinctively reacting to danger, shooting straight and doing things right, acting with coordination).

Well that was odd. Just as I posted agreement with Herr Kruger, the Commisar got in his post.

So who do I agree with?

Well generally HK except if you are really close as the Commisar says.

Weren't units as a whole identified as "veteran" or "green" and this would be more appropriate.

'Ok men, we are up against the __________ a veteran unit'. But not modeled in CM.

Toad

What i would like to see is a more vague description of the units experience. I agree it would be possible to differentiate a veteran unit from greenhorns but i dont think we should be decide between crack and elite. I want to see something like maybe only 2 or 3 classifications of experience visible. Like maybe just label them green or veteran. It would be hard to get more specific than that from watching a unit for a minute or two on a battlefield.