Any Port after a storm and Scenario Default

**********SPOILER*************************

I play the campaign as the US and my next battle will be battle 5 .While playing battles 1 and 3 , I had the impression ( which latter on , I understood was a wrong impression ) that something in the design make it too easy for the US when attacking the German .In battle 1 the first bullet against my troops was fired only when they were about 300 meters close to the German defense and in battle 3 , I made it until the last line of trees before the top of the hill without making any contact with the enemy( where the hell is the 88 AT Gun , why is it not firing at my troops advancing in an open field along 400 meters ?).On the top I sent some engineers , crawling and sneaking to find the Gun and destroy it with grenades.They did so and still...no contact Then I launched an attack on the top of the hill, the rest was fun but too easy.

I think that my mistake is that during the setting I made sure that the Full FOW was on but did not noticed that the Computer Player Setup was set on Stick to Scenario Default .I went for an other round and played the beginning of battle 1 and 3 with the Free to place units . This was quite challenging : in battle 1 the German bullets began to fly over my troop heads after their second step and in battle 3 one of my vehicles was destroyed after 20 meter by a direct AT hit !

So the problem of course was not in the scenario's design . I find it hard to believe that someone may design such a good scenario and then set some "default" settings that make his scenario unrealistic when playing .So I surely misunderstood the real meaning of Stick to Scenario Default . May someone enlighten me about the exact meaning of " Scenario Default" ? For a newbie like me who never designed a scenario it sounds like : "the standard" or " what the designer mean the scenario to be"

Should I stick to "Free to place unit" in the future to play more realistically? confused.gif

Thanks

Crockett.

[This message has been edited by Crockett (edited 02-14-2001).]

The "Any Port after a Storm" series is an exception to the general rule. Unless I'm crazy, I distinctly remember seeing a note at the download site indicating that the player should select "free set-up" when playing these scenarios against the computer. This is because the default setup has all the german units lined up against the back of the map, just as in a QB before you take your initial positions.

Go back and look. There may be a readme note in the zip file for the whole "Any port" group. Or the note may be only at Manx's Combat Missions site.

I'd like to ask developers in the future to remind us of any special instructions in the general briefing accessible from within CM.

Hi,Martyr

You are right ,I went to the Scenarios Depot and there is indeed some very specific explanations by the designer why it is important to set the Computer Player Setup on "Free to Place Unit " in this Operation!

Well I feel a bit stupid right now but I received a good lesson and certainly will read more carefully the designer notes in the future

Thanks

Crockett