Russian bazookas

Still trying to remember what book I read that says the Schreck was developed from lend-lease bazookas, but I did find a 'Net reference that backs it up. www.adeq.net/pzfaust2.htm. It says that the Schreck was developed from an M9A1 bazooka captured in North Africa in early '43. However, it mentions that other sources say lend-lease bazookas captured from the Russians. So apparently the real answer is: no-one knows for sure. My guess is the Schreck was developed after examining both the North African and Russian examples. Would be interesting to know for certain the actual history of it..

I don't know if the Russians had lend lease bazookas, but do know that it sure would have made a LOT of sense. The US sent about 4000 Shermans to the Ruskies but they could have sent 400,000 bazookas (let's say), plus their rockets, in the same cargo space. So it seems to me a cost-and-space efficient way to kill some German armor.

I know for sure that I wish I had some zooks when I'm playing the Russians. I'd gladly trade four or five tank rifles for a single zook.

Apparently, if the Ivans did receive some lend-lease bazookas, they either didn't get very many, or weren't impressed with them, or both. Of course, after encountering the Panzerschreck, the GI's weren't quite as thrilled with the first model bazooka either. What's always mystified me is that the GI's didn't get a 3-inch rocket bazooka until Korea, despite having been on the receiving end of the 88mm (and later even larger) Schrecks..