Mod and where they go question...?

Excuse me for being an idiot on the subject matter...

These "mods" that are on popular sites, (like Tom's site), are these just better images and sounds, that replace current bmp and wave files? or do they chage the game engine, characterstics of the unit or game?

Why I ask: I know I used alot of replacement images and sound files in CMBO to make it look and sound better, and I'll do that also for CMBB, but I don't want to change any of the game mechanics, I would think Battlefront would be more of the experts then modders on whether a T-34's front armor slope is this instead of that.

Thanks in advance... rookie startegy gamer here.

;)

MODs only replace graphics and sound. That is all that is open to MODers. You cannot modify the mechanics or core of the game in any way. Feel free to install MODs liberally with CMBB, just make sure you backup the originals someplace in case you don't like what you get.

Oh yea, the mods replace the bmp's and wav's in their respective folders. Look into the CMBB game folder/directory and you'll see what I mean.

[ October 11, 2002, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: kump ]

There is excellent mod manager for CMBO, and I'm sure one will follow for CMBB in due course (if there isn't one already ?) It's a very useful idea, which just allows you to install and uninstall (restoring the original files) mods (or even combinations of mods) just with a couple of mouse clicks in a seperate utility outside the main program.

"MODs only replace graphics and sound. That is all that is open to MODers. You cannot modify the mechanics or core of the game in any way."

That seems to be true of CM, although I'm not sure why anyone would want to change the core mechanics. It certainly isn't true of many other games, where mods can range from the odd graphics tweak to total conversions (virtually a different game, using the same basic engine). A good mod or two can extend the life (and number of sales) of a game enormously, Half-Life/Counter-strike being the most famous example. Many developers actively encourage them for that reason, and have even been known to make the source code "officially" available (to the chosen few) on occasion.

[ October 11, 2002, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: Hertston ]