black screen lock up

Ive had CMAK running for some time with no problems but then I now get a black screen with a frozen mouse pointer on start up.

the only thing I recenty did was reinstall cycling manager 3 but have now uninstalled it.

Ive tried everything on the forums

full reinstall

change of graphic driver back to an older vertion

windows hot fix 328310

changing the refresh rate on the monitor

has any one got any ideas

athlon 1.2 ghz

512 meg ram

g force fx5600

nvidea 56.72 drivers

direct x 9.0b

xp home

thanks

andy stearman

What exactly are you seeing when you launch CMAK ? Do you get the initial splash screens or do you see only the mouse and a black screen and never anything else ?

Are you using a 'tweaker' program with your NVidia drivers ? If so, you may want to uninstall it temporarily (including a likely reboot) to see if this makes any difference.

I'd suggest uninstalling your video driver completely - possibly even using a program like Detonator R.I.P. or nVidia Nasty File Remover (Videocard drivers > NVIDIA detonator drivers) to delete all of the files - and then rebooting the computer. Windows should autodetect your videocard, but don't install drivers just yet. Let it use the VGASave generic driver for now. Once Windows has fully booted up, turn off any anti-virus utilities and anything else that is running (possibly using Task Manager to close down running processes). You want to make sure that there is nothing interfering with the install process.

Now install your video driver and perform the necessary reboot afterwards. The driver should be using the generic settings that have all of the settings 'application controlled', which should mean 'off' for CM's purposes.

Anti-aliasing, the WM_TIMER patch and strange refresh rate issues were the most common causes of the 'black screen' problem with CM.

You have deleted your prefs file to see if a new resolution would be selected, haven't you ? What monitor do you have and how is the monitor defined by Windows XP. If it is a 'default monitor', then I highly suggest changing it to something more appropriate ('Plug and Play' or a specific model, etc.). Strangely this seems to make a difference on a number of occasions.