Does anybody use the Random Battle Generator?

Hi everybody. I'm back -- not that anyone probably noticed I was gone. smile.gif Love those new nVidia drivers! I played one QB to warm up, and the old CM addiction returned almost immediately. I'll be up all night playing. LOL

Anyway, about this time last year, George Platner and I put up a web site for randomly generating parameters for QBs and e-mailing the stats to both players.

The URL is:

http://www.mindmagma.com/combatmission/index.asp

It was quite popular for awhile. Back when we were logging usage (seeing about 30 battles per day, and one day peaked at over 60), but around Nov 2001 there was a major server upgrade and I took out the logging as part of an effort to reduce overall storage usage of mindmagma.com. (My friend owns the ISP company and gives me free hosting, so I thought I'd be considerate.)

Anyway, since then, I've had no usage data. Returning to CM re-kindled my interest in the project.

I sent Madmatt an e-mail earlier today offering to let him take over the Random Battle Generator. I'd just put up a simple redirect in case it's still in use. I'm so out of touch with CM after being away from it for almost a year that it seemed like a good idea, if it's still being used.

Or, maybe moving it to CMHQ can revive it. It was a good idea at the time.

So -- anybody use this thing anymore? smile.gif

PS -- Is George Platner still around? The hotmail address I had for him is apparently no longer active...

Edit: I just noticed my sig doesn't include "index.asp" at the end, and the new server was apparently set up wrong, he forgot to add "index.*" as a default page filename in IIS. :( I guess if anybody was going by the raw URL they probably just thought the page went away completely. So, if you've never heard of it, check it out. It was never completed, but it's still useful in it's current form. smile.gif

Edit 2: Fixed my sig. :D

[ June 24, 2002, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: JMcGuire ]

I've used it a ton, and LOVE it. For some reason I haven't been using it much lately, but several of the guys I play and I have enjoyed working with the hand you are dealt. It seems the most realistic command at this scale. "This is your goal, these are your forces, deal with it."

Please don't let the random battle generator go away. It's a very useful tool!

Hi Jon smile.gif

Glad you are back. I also recently returned from a bit of a hiatus after buying a Geforce 4. Man these things work well with CM.

I hope people are still using that battle generator. It was fun to make and even more fun to use. It really makes the game that much more unpredictable.

Anyway I have a new project underway that you may not have seen. Here are a couple of links to the discussions:

shadows on vehicles

How to create shadows

Anyway just thought you might find those interesting. Thanks again for helping create and host the Random Battle Generator.

P.S. I took the link to the generator out of my sig because I thought you had taken it down. I will put it back in if you are going to leave it up for a while longer.

I'd never seen it until this post brought it up and like Papa Khann the page is now bookmarked. I don't play PBEM (way too slow for my tastes) but it works just fine for QBs against the AI too ;)

In fact, I just finished a wet, night probe against the Canadians (they hadn't a chance really).

Cool, I'm glad to see it's being used.

We'll see what Matt says. If he doesn't want it on CMHQ, I'll just continue to host it myself. It's no problem at all, I just thought it would get better coverage at CMHQ -- and maybe somebody would adopt it and finish it.

Or maybe I'll kiss the wife goodbye, disappear into the office for endless bouts of CM, and eventually get the urge to finish it myself. :D

George, good to see you're still around, too. For some reason everything I sent to your hotmail account bounced (although I haven't tried in about six months).

Guest BigAlMoho

Hello,

I very much enjoyed using the Random Battle Generator and I would like to see more work done on it...

Thanks,

Al

Originally posted by BigAlMoho:

Hello,

I very much enjoyed using the Random Battle Generator and I would like to see more work done on it...

Thanks,

Al

We did quite a few of these, eh? Very fun. Do you want to do another random PBEM Al? If so, send me a set-up!