Purchase CMBB alone or bundled CMBO & CMBB set?

Recently learned of the existence of CM. I'm considering purchasing CMBB and wondered if the bundled set of CMBO & CMBB (for an additional $20) is recommended.

CMBB seems to have quite a few enhancements, and I wonder if any present users see themselves going back to play CMBO after having used the newer version?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

I have both games and yes i would get the bundle pack. But you can download CMBO demo and try it out first,CMBO takes place in the western front and is a little difernt as far as the commands and such go and there is a big difference in the 3d engine. I would download the demo first though and play it(CMBO}that way you would know for sure if you like it or not.

Once of the nicest things about CM:BO is that the combat you encounter is totally different from CM:BB.

I would recommend CM:BO for a couple of reasons:

1) It's the Western Front. People have preferences about what theatre they want to play in, and my preference is for the Western front. If you like the thrill of being on the 'good' side ;) then it's great.

2) It's easier to play and to dive into quickly because you need to know less about tactics than in CM:BB. CM:BB is harder, no doubt about that, because it's so much more realistic. Infantry arent' the tough, grizzled heroes they are in the Western Front. smile.gif

Some of the downsides:

1) The standard graphics look poor by today's standards. Mods definitely improve this, making the terrain and vehicles far more attractive, and adding immersion to the game.

2) Machine guns aren't very effective in CM:BO, which makes attacks by infantry easier than they would have realistically been. There's nothing you can do to get round this. This is fixed in CM:BB

3) Some units (flamethrowers, machine guns and mortars) can be a pain to use because they can't "run" anywhere. This is fixed in CM:BB

So to sum up, it's fun to have and a good learning curve. It's also a worthy addition if you like the Western Front. It is, however, hard to go and play CM:BO when CM:BB is so much better.

thanks tracer. the game(s) would be an early xmas present from the spouse. i considered downloading the demo(s), but a 60mb download on a dial-up connection is going to take awhile.

i've played close combat: a bridge too far before and enjoyed it, and am presently playing the single-player version of Battlefield 1942. from the reviews i've read, combat mission seems to have a little of both worlds, but with much more realism from a historical and statistical basis. the ability to control each and every unit on the playing field, and being able to play another person without worrying about internet connection speed (via pbem or tcp/ip) are what really entices me.

As relates to the choice of games.

There are far more players moving onto CMBB and not playing anymore CMBO than there are players who own both games but have decide to exclusively stick to CMBO.

CMBB is a sequal and is a number of powers superior to CMBO.

However I would advise you to buy both games and treat CMBO as primer or apertif to the main course, the real steak and potatoes: CMBB

thanks to everyone who's responded. i just completed placing my order for the bundled set.

tonight i'll go about downloading one of the demos and begin progressing up the learning curve.

to those in the States (or serving overseas), have a grand old turkey day tomorrow.