Tactics for Defence?

I think I am getting the hang of planning and executing assaults.....I am at least beating the AI consistently....

However, I tend to get my butt kicked when on the receiving end of an attack, especially as the Germans. I think I understand about interlocking fire and such, but it seems that one or two of my AT guns get knocked out and it's all over bar the killing. This is particlarly so if I am defending a village or something.

Any general principles on setting up an effective defence available? Are there any "How to"s out there based on what professional soldiers are trained to do?

Thanks,

Ober

------------------

"Them Yankees couldn't hit the broa..."

Guest Pillar

Have your AT guns with only limited sight and fire, but make sure those limited fire zones are important ones.

That way, the enemy can only come at you from the route you predicted AND there isn't much choice of going around.

With three or four 88's you can pretty much cover the important routes of advance on almost any map. Just make sure there aren't any "backdoors" for the enemy to sneak up on them.

Learning how to sight AT Guns at first can be tricky. One has to face down the nearly overwhelming desire to go head to head with the armor especially with the large high velocity guns, but getting into long range gun duel with a superior number of tanks, artillery, and MG's is suicidal.

The best way I have found is to set up AT guns is to set them up just to take flank shots regardless of caliber. Also, select sites that can not be attacked from the front. Let other units cover the frontal approaches with their flanking fire. This is called putting the enemy under enfilading fire from interlocking positions. As you probably have guessed by now, the concept applies to just about every other unit. Why it works is that it limits the vunerability of the defender by limiting his exposure to direct attack and forces the enemy to expose his vunerable sides to other friendlies in order to engage his assailant.

The second thing is to learn how to hide and ambush. In WWII in Europe, most Tank on Tank or Tank on Gun engagements occured at ranges of less than 500m. So don't feel pressured to engage the enemy as soon as he's in range. Lure him in closer where the fire is more lethal and more accurate, so you can wipe him out before he has a chance to kill you. Also, unhide only those units that required for the job. As soon as that's over, hide or split.

Thirdly, use your artillery to break up his concentrations at long range. FO's in concealment are the best for this, but the company mortars can do just fine in pinch. And, nothing lets them know your watching like a few rounds of high explosive.

Finally, defend in depth and all around. Other people including myself have already covered this topic extensively in other threads.

And, Happy Hunting.

PS: The "Combat Leader's Field Guide" has a nice section on small unit tactics. I've also found a couple of useful articles in the "Military Reference Library" which is sold here.

[This message has been edited by Jeff Pattison (edited 07-06-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Jeff Pattison (edited 07-06-2000).]

I agree with all the last person wrote, and think I would stress the part about "defending in depth." You must not simply set up a wall. Set up choke points, followed by points the troops can retreat to to do another ambush. Have troops set back to do the same. Keep a highly mobile reserve that can plug holes and strike at the enemy where they falter or expose themselves. Have AT guns hold their fire until the tanks roll past, if possible. Often the best defense is one that chips away at the oncoming enemy, until it gets to that crucial moment when the initiative swings in your favor.

It's a cheesy analogy, but its the equivilent of playing the black pieces in chess. Having a one move disadvantage, you must recognize the point at which white has lost a tempo or moved into a bad position, and at that time you must seize the game from him.

------------------

MaddMatt/Crimguy

CO, VMFA-323 Death Rattlers

www.deathrattlers.webme.net/homepage.html

Hmm i'd pick a different tactic Matt.

I think the problem with having reserves and/or different chokepoints is not having enough firepower. If you're playing Germans on the defense in a village or town in the end Allied infantry can give you a hard time, especially if there is any armour left.

What i do mostly (and mostly it works as well) is deploy the infantry in a horseshoe-like formation, let the allies get close and then let it rip. That way you always have maximum firepower at your disposal and it makes for an excellent formation to launch a counter attack if things turn out better then expected.

As for AT, whenever possible try to have 2 AT units (like 75mm pak) on the edges of the horseshoe. That way you can have a great crossfire that uncle Sam would be talking about for ages to come smile.gif. I hold any armour back a bit most of the times to plug any hole or give the allied main infantry assault a big blow to the head.

But then..if there was 1 perfect tactic, it would be staying home and have tea and biscuits.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a simpler approach;

Attack!

I'm still stuck to the demos, and in these scenarios I've found that as a defender I can win by initially sticking to a defended line with my troops in somewhat covered positions. From there I thin out the oncoming enemies and force them to a halt.

Once my reinforcements arrive it's time to start pushing the enemy back.

In depth defence just doesn't work if there's no depth available (as on these maps).

Cheers

Olle