French players, please read. Vacation tip needed

Hi guys,

I'm going to France for a week on thursday, to Villers (Vosges district, just south of Nancy). I was wondering if any of you know any interesting WWII sites or museums in that area. If you do, could you please let me know?

Merci in advance. smile.gif

Juju,

If you go looking for Villers-Bocage, where Wittman met his end, you will be disappointed. It is one of the few villages around that seems to be "modernized". I only did a single day of driving outside of Paris, so I hit the obvious. Went to Normandy/ Omaha Beach and memorial. BUT, I am told there is an excelelnt Museum in Bayeux, and also in Caen.. But sadly I didnt have time to stop...

hoi Juju

ik heb nog een uitgebreide wegenkaart liggen van de omgeving van Normandie,mocht je in de buurt komen dan kun je hem zo afhalen.

kennis van mij heeft die gekocht voor me met het doel om hem te gebruiken voor cm mappen.

Originally posted by *Captain Foobar*:

Juju,

If you go looking for Villers-Bocage, where Wittman met his end, you will be disappointed.

You are certain to be disappointed if you look for Villers-Bocage in the Vosges. And Wittman met his end at St-Aignan-le-Cramesnil.

Originally posted by *Captain Foobar*:

It is one of the few villages around that seems to be "modernized".

[snips]

Quite a lot of villages and towns in Normandy were flattened, and Villers-Bocage was demolished by heavy bombers. It is still nonetheless a rewarding place for a battlefield walk, as long as one bears in mid how the terrain has changed, which is better-recorded for V-B than for many places. A visit to Point 213 shows more clearly than books and maps can how significant the point was, and how Tigers could approach to close range unobserved; it also shows that the idea that the road was "blocked" by destroyed vehicles is clearly flapdoodle.

St-Aignan, where Wittman was killed, and La Cambe, where he is buried, are also worth visiting.

Sorry I haven't a clue what one might find in the Vosges.

All the best,

John.