Mortar Halftrack

My understanding from previous threads on the subject is that they will work more or less like straight-leg on-board mortars in terms of firing mechanics. That is, they can direct fire on any location that the HT has LOS to, or indirect fire if in command radius of an HQ unit that has LOS to the target.

Even though I have no first hand information on the subject, I'll put my money down and say that CMBB will not allow Mortar HTs to indirect fire all by themselves (i.e., without a spotter) - this would be a major departure from established game mechanics and it would be difficult to justify why mortar HTs should be able to do this when straight-leg mortars cannot.

What has NOT been answered is how this new indirect fire capability for mortar HTs will interact with the new "command radio" modeling for vehicles. For example, can a mortar HT with a radio be "in command" to a command HT 300m away, and if so, can this command HT spot for the Mortar HT? My guess is no, but here I'm less confident of my guess.

In any event, shortly we'll all be able to see for ourselves. . .

Cheers,

YD

In the German army (I don't know how it was for the Reds) platoon HTs were commanded by the platoon leader of the infantry. These HTs were usually armed with a 37mm AT gun.

I'm not sure, but I would guess mortar HTs would have been commanded by a troop leader subordinated to the company commander. I expect that in CM they will draw spotting from any nearby HQ.

Michael

Originally posted by The ol one eye.:

In short, will all vehicles follow the platoon guidlines?

I am only guessing so take this with an appropriate amount of salt, but I suspect that only tanks, SPAT, armored cars, and assault guns will have platoon organizations. Trucks, HTs, and similar vehicles most likely will not.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

In the German army (I don't know how it was for the Reds) platoon HTs were commanded by the platoon leader of the infantry. These HTs were usually armed with a 37mm AT gun.

Wow, I just had a flashback to ASL with the mention of the 37mm armed SPW 251's. Are those going to be in CMBB? I hope so.

Chad

Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Wow, I just had a flashback to ASL with the mention of the 37mm armed SPW 251's. Are those going to be in CMBB? I hope so.

Chad</font>