An Original Question (maybe!!)

Well, it's a question I haven't seen before, so here goes. During the course of a battle, you can end up with quite a few waifs and strays, such as, tank crew, mortarmen who are out of ammo, ditto FO spotters, etc. My question is, if you put these guys in the front line are they of any use, i.e. do they have small arms, do they contribute to the firefight, or is it just best to walk them off your side of the map?

Tank and weapons crews are specially trained to do their jobs so it's wasteful to put them in the front line. In a serious game, a historical game or a game against an opponent you don't know well it is best not to use them for fighting.

That said, if you insist on using them to win games, i.e. in a gamey fashion, you shouldn't rely on their firepower--they don't have much. Instead use them to distract enemy shooters during important movements, or use them as pickets.

For example, if you want to race a tank up a road, past a known or suspected zook/piat/schreck position, let a crew close assault the AT team at the same time as the vehicle is whizzing past.

Or use them to lead a human wave assault, to reduce the number of target lines on your hitters.

Or post them as sentries near a TRP, and when enemy infantry shows up shred the area with artillery.

All of these uses can achieve results that are worth the loss of points when they die. But again, these tactics will alienate you from many players, so it's best to only use them in no-holds-barred games.

[ July 07, 2002, 04:54 AM: Message edited by: CMplayer ]

Thanks for your replies. I don't intend being "gamey" with these guys, I just wondered what would happen IRL. I guess all efforts would be made to get guys like Tank Commanders back into another tank, etc. I guess it is best to just clear them from the map, bearing in mind how expensive they are.

Hide them safely inside a building NEAR the tank they just abandoned, and at the start of each turn, stare at the abandoned, perfectly-usable tank for several seconds, and utter curses at the cowards.

That's what I do. smile.gif

They make great guards for prisoners. That's about it.