(yet another) Bug?

I just started a QB with germans as Medium Quality... i had 83 units... of these 9!!! were regular... the rest were green and conscripts...

same thing last night when i played my friend... had a 1500+ point force with 4!!! units that were regular and the rest green and conscript... when choosing a medium quality force...

I shudder to think what you get with a low quality force... Newborns?

Still it seems to be a bug... just wanted to let the world know... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Oddball_E8:

I just started a QB with germans as Medium Quality... i had 83 units... of these 9!!! were regular... the rest were green and conscripts...

same thing last night when i played my friend... had a 1500+ point force with 4!!! units that were regular and the rest green and conscript... when choosing a medium quality force...

I shudder to think what you get with a low quality force... Newborns?

Still it seems to be a bug... just wanted to let the world know... :rolleyes:

It would be my guess that this is/was intentional

All those years of posting.. "Play Green Troops- The secret realism of CMBO" has paid off.

I would guess the official explanation of this observation is that it is not a bug but was in fact designed that way to be realistic BUT that is just IMHO smile.gif

-tom w

[ November 17, 2002, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

I hope this is a bug.

I note in the manual it says something about troops experience will be 10% +/- a level but 90% -1/-2 experience!!!

If its not a bug can it be removed in the patch? For people wanting a balanced game where player tactics is the key, having a random, dramatic effect on balance of this magnitude is poor (for want of a better term).

Medium quality can be green or regular. The autopurchaser chose green as the base. The 9 regular units were in the 10% fudge group.

WWB

PS: If you want a balanced game, the best idea is to leave as few factors to random chance as possible. The randomization happens before the program has any idea of number of players, so it cannot be sensitive to making a balance 2-player game.

WWB

[ November 18, 2002, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: wwb_99 ]

Thanks WWB

I just had another look at manual.

"For example High Quality russian troops in 1941 will only appear as regular"

Anyone know at what year Russian "medium Quality" equates to regular?

Does the same thing happen to german troop experience, eg towards the end (1945) you get lower quality than expected?

Originally posted by Pud:

Does the same thing happen to german troop experience, eg towards the end (1945) you get lower quality than expected?

One can only hope that it's been thought of. By the end of the War German quality values are all over the shop. Everything from extremely tough old hands and highly qualified instructors to raw recruits. Perhaps the margin of variability should be even larger than 10% for them by that point?

I would hardly say its historically correct to regard a force of green and conscript german soldiers in 1941 as a unit of "medium quality"... its just not right... its not medium... its low quality... oh and by the way... intersting fact: my friend (playing russians) used random quality and got veterans and cracks as well as regulars...

I think its wierd that a medium force consists of 10% regulars and 90% green and conscripts... I would think more in the lines of 50% regulars or maby even 70% regulars... and certainly not a whole lot of conscripts... maby a unit or two... correct me if im wrong, but dont conscript units represent units with little or no training? :confused:

And besides... german soldiers were (most of them) "veterans" from the war in france and poland. Not exactly green and conscript units in my eyes... somethings wrong here...