Totally Historically Accurate and Politically Incorrect Scenario Icon Mod V2+

Had a request from my pal Russian player Ivan to put the hammer and sickle in the red army cap badges. (He is annoyed that the tank turret graphic has only one side graphic and he cannot put his favourite slogans on his favourite tanks without it looking silly!)

This is V2 and you can download it from Gary’s site as per usual - http://www.garykrockover.com/cmbb/ .

Sorry if you got the 1st version or were very lucky and got the pre-version 1 and now have to download it again! It is the very final version honest. (Although somebody had the idea of using the Panzer Troop badge for German Mechanised troops.)

(PC meant Politically Correct – you cannot be sexist or racist in the UK. I have no idea if it works on a Mac or not?)

The original scenario icons even on the US version were very politically correct with not a Swastika or Hammer and Sickle in sight. For some reason symbols of Italian Fascism do not seem to bother anybody! (They were very nicely done.)

As you might know by now, I am mad as hell about this WG political correctness thing that has been inflicted on European players and have big hopes that the English patch (at the very least) will end the WG insult thing. I have high hopes that my American cousins who are big on the virtue of free speech will do the morally right thing in the patch. … and yes I know this would never have happened if I had bought a Mac and not a Dell PC!

Talking about been sexist when are we going to get female Russian soldier mods – I want to do political incorrect female Russian tank driver jokes! On the subject of been a good European, I hope the Finns got all of their small needs and wants fully taken care of in the patch.

The readme:

I got so mad at seeing WG in the scenario screen that I have had ago at creating my own scenario icons - it is partly based on Vapaudenristi's mod and the more subdued and sharper SS Runes on the US version - which a friend sent me.

I do not pretend to be an artist but have made some advancements on the historical accuracy of the Red Army Icons.

New Badges:

Infantry - Red Army Cap Badge on red background.

Mechanised - Tank Officers Collar Badge on black collar background.

Mountain - Red Army Cap Badge on brown background.

Ski - Red Army Cap Badge on white background.

Paratrooper - Parachutist Badge 1936.

Partizan - Replaced fictious badge with Partizan Pin Badge issued after War

Cavalry - Shoulder Collar Badge (Collars are blue and look darker

than this CMBB hue.)

Navy - Naval Officers Anchor collar Badge on black collar background.

(You know that you are in the Navy now!)

Guards - Guards Personnel Badge 1942 on red background.

Mechanised Guards - Guards Badge on black background.

The Russian 12th Army, 13th Rifle Corps apparently had two Mountain Divisions, 44th and 58th. However I think this is a very Western view of the Red Army who had no special Mountain badge for these troops. My guess is they got this "status" by been stationed in mountainous country. They are not German style Elite Mountain troops. I think this slot could have been better used portraying NKVD soldiers.

Guards was an "elite" status given to Divisions from 1942 that had fought heroically. These units benefited from better equipment such as lend-lease Shermans and this year’s version of the T34. In CMBB terms view them as better trained and equipped troops than the soviet norm rather than as ELITE.

I feel that I have to defend the use of Nazi (and Communist) icons in my mod as CDV and the German

government has censored the game throughout Europe on the grounds that it could corrupt the young.

My feeling is that computer games do not have any great political influence. However, I hope that the game could inspire people to read some books about WWII and realise that dictators of any shade are evil and that we should not be hypnotised into killing each other by some political ideology. Such dictators have been keen in the past to rewrite history in similar way to CDV have done. I hope that like me, playing CM2 brings you a host of new friends across Europe and the rest of the World.

Sources:

Anton Shalito, Ilya Savchenkov & Andrew Mollo Red Army Uniforms of World War II.

David Webster & Chris Nelson Uniforms of the Soviet Union 1918-1945.

Mark Gallear (Dirty Mark) British and proud to be European!

Apologies for any and all typos and liberties with the Queen’s English.

CDV did do something for me - I can spell Swas'tika now! :rolleyes:

Dirty Mark

That was probably because I didn't do them!!! I did confess to using somebody else’s mod as a starting point. (This seemed to be based on somebody else’s CMBO mod.) I also confessed too not been an artist as well! Having said that I surprised myself with the Russian icons and am pleased with them - unless you are a modding artist and can do better!

I will go back to designing Scenarios and operations - now that lots off my chest!!!!!

:D