Looking for feedback

I submitted an ahistorical combined arms battle "Hold the line Hans" at the scenario depot. It's dawn on a hot, dry August day in 1944. The Germans are charged with defending a crossroad and a village against the attacking Russian AI. The Axis has 1300 pts and the Allies have 3200. Hopefully, the AI will not need bonuses.

Let me know what you think. If you like it, I'll design more. If not, I'll retire tongue.gif

Ok here is my opinion, The map is nice, but if the germs had maybe 2 more medium Pz and maybe 1 more platoon (with the reinforcements that come in), it would be a kick butt battle, seeing how it's fictional anyhow, and it still was fun, it's not to big so if you want a nice battle it would be great. But I wouldn't retire for the first battle you have done it's pretty darn good. Oh yeah and maybe if you want to, I would bring the 2 or 3 medium pzs with the reinforcements, nice job

well i held out pretty good until around turn 16, the comrades, just ran over my guys, the panzer faust were the main asset, and yes you could maybe add a few more AT guns, instead of Pzs, either way though I think,it would help. The mg 42s I had place in some good places(I really don't want to go into detail because it might spoil your battle for others}and they held the russians inf back for a while

Originally posted by Watson & Crick:

If you like it, I'll design more.

Well, what's taking so long?
If not, I'll retire
No, I'm sorry but that's not an option.

As to this scenario.... Hmmmm.

NOT REALLY BUT KINDA SPOILER

Actually, I don't mean to tease like this, but now I think I have more to say than I can type before passing out tonight- it's a good scenario, although it might not have replay value, (possibly), the setup zones make me wonder if there's a 'puzzle' to be solved there or not (why are my SMGs out, but my Rifles are in???), and I'm not sure whether I knew, or was supposed to know, from whence evil things were coming, though I guess I guessed ok.

Would you like my AAR file? Tells almost the whole story, at least to me. ! Got a minor Major, lost alot of good German kids, lost a tiger and a gun. The gun was 'dumb', the tiger I lost to a tank that spent almost the entire game as a generic unit icon being chicken in the back, only to pop in just at the right time to killtiger. Held the tanks back probably a bit too long, costing the troops; they didn't venture more than 100m, doing the lion's share of armor kill from their starting positions.

The one flag noone seemed to care much about...

Well I guess I type fairly quickly anyhow. smile.gif

Eden

Geez, so I can't retire early to Bermuda tongue.gif Thanks Tracer and Eden. See my coments below (will contain spoilers).

SPOILERS

Tracer, if you lose your tanks and your guns early, it is very tough for a win. More russkies than bullets :D . When I playtested it, if I lost my armor and both AT guns before turn 18, I was toast.

Eden you guessed right! Half of the fun in a defend scenario is trying to predict where the enemy will come from so you can deploy your troops accordingly. I purposely did not say too much because I wanted it to play more like a human vs human (i.e. unpredictable). The reason I placed the submachine squad setup in the trees is because that they would have been useless just about everywhere else.

As to replayability, I agree. I rarely ever return to a scenario (well, unless i get my a$$ kicked!).

Out of curiosity, which flag was uncontested? In my playtesting, the AI usually did not try too hard to get the flag near the submachine guns.

GUESS WHAT

Originally posted by Watson & Crick:

The reason I placed the submachine squad setup in the trees is because that they would have been useless just about everywhere else.

Yes they did come in handy there, though I initially thought I would want those SMGs for infighting. On turn one, I *ran* those turkeys to a more central location, only to *run* them back when infantry started appearing over there!

Thereafter, though I had littered the way left field with a good many SovietScum I could not bring the majority of that force back to the middle- small units kept appearing and *pestering* me over there the whole game, trickling in bit by bit...

As to replayability, I agree. I rarely ever return to a scenario (well, unless i get my a$$ kicked!).
Well it's not that exactly- I don't have a problem playing repeatedly, inherently, assuming there aren't "surprises" or whatnot. But with the number of scenarios showing up at SD, it's about all I can do to try each one once, so the issue is fairly moot.
Out of curiosity, which flag was uncontested? In my playtesting, the AI usually did not try too hard to get the flag near the submachine guns.
Yes, the one camera left was 'disputed'. In AAR, I see a couple SovSquad over there, eating dirt and wishing to go back to the farm, so I could have walked all over that flag, but the battle was clearly taking place to the right of center, where there was a huge get together of Sovs in that copse/rough area.

Sovs kept one T34 alive who was just a chickenpoop staying way in the back. I don't blame him.

One schreck I placed with those SMG took a halftrack late game. A schreck I hid way up the road right had his chance to take out the last T34 coming from that direction, but decided to just stand there and aim, though he had only thirty or less meters to deal with. Turkey.

Sharpshooter had maybe a chance and a half but failed.

Setup took me forever- trying to place units in a good spread, but keeping them in command was almost impossible given the terrain dips.

And I've got maybe two boxes of ammo left in the whole field; ammo was really really tight.

Eden