Hello BTS! CM CD won't install past aiff5001 on full install

Hello BTS.

Hi guys. Well my CD is finaly kaput. Not sure how this happend as of yet. This was happening to me quite a while ago though I was able to install the game after a few trys. Well, whats wrong you ask? Well, Everytime I try and install my CM CD with a full install, the installer won't go past aiff5001, or something like that. I am not sure if that is a windows file or a mac file but I suppose that does not matter much smile.gif Ummm...I am on a mac have tried all of the imaginable and unimaginable ways to clean the disk or the CD tray...(blowing on it smile.gif ) but to no avail.

So...is this something that has been happening to other CM'rs or am I an only duckling smile.gif

Further to the point: I am not sure if I have somehow defected my CM CD or it came with some sort of wierd defect. The reason I ask is, I have taken care of my CM CD like it was the holy grail and as I mentioned before, I had had this problem once before (actaully twice) but was able to install CM after a few tries. this time she just wont install. So...I will gladly purchase another CD from ya'll but was wondering if my CD might have been defected somehow before I recieved it. Of course there is no real way to figure this out and also I bought my CD from ya'll in october so it was a long while ago. Anyhow...(I never really cared to mention it since it did install after a few tries)

My question: is the CM CD known to have any premature defect? And well...thats it. biggrin.gif

Have a good night guys.

P.S. - My CM CD does have a few spots on it. Not really scratches per say but spots as if my carbonated beverage was hovering nect to the CD at one point and its efervecsents just kinda flowed over onto the CD. Yeah, its kinda wierd, but that is the only explanation I can can come up with at this point.

Anyways again, I am not saying I want a free CM CD here, I just thought I would mention this bcouse of the possible install problem I having. Honestly my CM CD is in good shape and I dont leave it in bad places and its mostly either in the CD tray or the CD case.

P.P.S. - Standard install works BTW, have not tried minimum though.

Anyways thanks for listening. smile.gif

You should be able to manually copy over the entire CD contents to a folder of your choice. The files are not compressed. With the CD in your CDROM drive (for copy protection reasons) you can then launch CM from the executable and it should run. I don't think that the spots on the CD are causing problems. I'm not sure what the installer on the Mac looks like, but there are some possible reasons for it not working correctly (including files in wherever your temporary folder is or some program is interfering with it) beyond a defective CD.

I just followed your advice Schrullenhaft and I was able to install CM however aiff5001 and aiff5002 wont install again. It said that it would not "copy" becouse of a "disk error". However CM seems to run fine so far I suppose. I ran it but played no games yet. I supppose I will test it out to see if something seems amiss.

Anways, I am wondering what an aiff file is. I think its a sound file but I may be mistaken. I wonder which ones are 5001 and 5002 since these are the ones that dont want to copy. Hmmm...well I dont know... smile.gif

Thanks again Schrullenhaft

You're right... AIFF is (one of) the sound format(s) for the Mac. The two sounds you can't copy are ambient (background) sounds for CM, which include some audio weather effects. Have you attempted to copy these files individually ? They are about 15Mb or so in size.

You may want to run a disk diagnostic on your Mac just to make sure that there aren't any file system problems (though there most likely isn't any).

Do you have problems reading other CDs ? You may want to try playing back an audio CD through all of its tracks or copying a data CD that's close to 650Mb or so in size to your hard drive (temporarily) to see if your CDROM has problems copying from certain regions of a CD.

Guest MajorH

Off the wall possibilities ...

A. Is your hard drive full or almost full?

B. Mac file directory damaged by a previous program crash or improper shut down. Take all CDs and floppies out of your Mac. Shut down your Mac. Restart your Mac while holding down the Option key and the Command key. When the dialog appears asking "Do you want to rebuild the desktp" click the OK button.

C. Your CD reader is dying. Create a new folder on your Mac away from the Combat Mission folder. Repeatedly try copying 5001.aif and 5002.aif from the CD to that folder. If that eventually works then try to copy 5001.aif and 5002.aif from that folder to your Combat Mission folder.

D. Your hard drive has developed a bad sector. Run the utility that came with the Mac OS titled "Disk First Aid".

> My CM CD does have a few spots on it. Not really scratches

> per say but spots as if my carbonated beverage was hovering

> nect to the CD at one point and its efervecsents just kinda

> flowed over onto the CD.

Go to your local Target or Wal-Mart and get a package of CD cleaning wipes. Gently clean the shiny side of your CD with the wipes - follow the cleaning directions exactly. If the spots are on the label side of the CD, leave them alone. Scratching or marring the top of a CD is just as dangerous as scratching the bottom though for a different reason. A lot of folks don't realize that the data layer of a CD is actually on the top of the CD - i.e. under the label (sort of). The bottom of a CD is actually only a clear protective layer. Spots, mars, or scratches on the bottom of a CD prevent the reader from reading areas of a CD but the data is probably still intact. Scratches on the top of a CD actually remove data.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

[This message has been edited by MajorH (edited 04-05-2001).]

[This message has been edited by MajorH (edited 04-05-2001).]

I recently did a new install and it hanged when it got to the point of installing the .mov file. Well actually it asked for a new disc. I'm like "What other disc?". I took the CD out and it had a "greasy" smudge on it. I wiped it off, tried the install again and it worked fine.