I can't stop the Human Wave -- and I'm playing the Russians!

In order to mitigate command delays of 30+ seconds and maximize my potential Human Wave distance, I tried issuing Pause orders to my troops so they'd start Waving a few seconds into the following turn. This proved problematic in the demo, as the Human Wave order is truncated into a short (10-20m) Wave followed by a long Run... but I don't expect the lads much care about that.

Much more troublesome, though, in both the demo and game I find that in the order phase of the second turn, I cannot cancel Human Waves before they start. The Halt command is simply not available:

orders1.jpg

orders2.jpg

What gives?

IIRC it is a feature that Human Waves once 'launched' cannot be stopped. Sort of fire and forget.

It represents the motivational aspect of the order, where everyone psyches themselves up, links arms, and goes hell for leather in a screaming run.

I'm sure someone else will confirm soon.

From the manual:

Human Wave - available only to Soviet units in command range of an HQ. Unit will begin with a brisk walk (for at least 10 meters) and cover the last 80 meters of the way to the waypoint running (or less if the distance is smaller). Increases morale. "Human Wave" order has to be cancelled before other orders can be given. There can only be one "Human Wave" waypoint, which also can NOT be adjusted once set.

It explicitly says I have to cancel the Human Wave if I want to issue other movement orders, and yet that's precisely what I can't do...

Keyboard shortcuts -- right! Much obliged, Rickovich.

Guess I panicked when the Halt order didn't show up on the screen -- I've gotten into the habit of driving the game with a drawing tablet, not a keyboard. Perhaps it's time to reassess this practice...

Still, I would suggest this qualifies as a bug. Probably too minor to warrant fixing, but something to keep in mind for the gnu engine. In a perfect world, players should not be constrained in their choice of input devices.