Further potential Newbie questions ??

Right then, still not sure which one to go for. I'd prefer the Western Front as opposed to the Eastern Front but does the improvement in graphical quality of CMBB and the other enhancements make it that superior or is CMBO still a great game in its own right even if it looks a little dated (is this the case??)

Also I've noticed that there seems to be plenty of user made add-ons for CMBO, do these enhance the game so much as to make it comparable to CMBB. Is there a list anywhere of definitive "must have" files for CMBO. Can anyone help me out further here ??

Regards to all.

I only got the bundle about a month or so ago and after modding I've got my CMBO to look near as good as CMBB and in some cases better!

I think CMBO is an amazing game on it's own and if your are into the western front, you'll be set.

As for which mods to get, oh boy, I asked the same question when I came on.

Get CMMOS and figure it out, and then download ALL the mods for it and pick and choose your way.

I did end up making a few custom mods based on others to suit my taste, but that's just because I got really into it!

Anyway, CMBO is tons of fun so enjoy your new addiction!

Jordan

Originally posted by Fire-at-Will:

Right then, still not sure which one to go for. I'd prefer the Western Front as opposed to the Eastern Front but does the improvement in graphical quality of CMBB and the other enhancements make it that superior or is CMBO still a great game in its own right even if it looks a little dated (is this the case??)

Also I've noticed that there seems to be plenty of user made add-ons for CMBO, do these enhance the game so much as to make it comparable to CMBB. Is there a list anywhere of definitive "must have" files for CMBO. Can anyone help me out further here ??

Regards to all.

For the money, your best bet is to order the CMBO/CMBB combo package. As others have stated, CMBB (eastern front) is more realistic, and consequently a little more difficult than the older CMBO. I just received my package from battlefront last week and am fortunate enough to have high speed internet access. So, as others have suggested, I downloaded the majority of CMBO mods from http://www.combatmission.com/index.asp .

Search the site for 3rd party mods and you will find a page of suggested mods for CMBO. My modded version of CMBO LOOKS almost as good as CMBB.

Again, as someone else on this board has stated, be prepared to give up all your other hobbies once you get into either/both of these superb games. :D

i just ordered and received the combo - just struck me as the best deal - basically only 15 bucks more than most any game i buy and in this case i got two great games

my thought was i'd work through cmbo and then eventually install and migrate to cmbb

i keep reading about these mods, i guess i'm going to have to download some and check it out

correct me if i'm mistaken, but these mods seem to be mostly aimed at improving appearence, sound, f/x, etc right?

usually in other games when you talk about mods it's in reference to changes to the game itself that result in a new type game using the same game engine (i.e. Half-Life has a well known mod called Counter-Strike which is essentially an entirely new game)

i want to check before i start installing these mods that i'm not messing with the core game itself - if it's just messing with sound and bitmap files that's no biggie because i can just copy back over them all - i just don't want to mess with the game itself

btw, followup question for AstroCat (and this will be a real newb question smile.gif )

is CMMOS synonymous with mod's? a type of mod? a program that helps load and track mods?

yes, i did a quick search using CMMOS and found some hits, but nothing that gave me a clear understanding of what exactly this is

I personally think that a fully modded CMBO looks better than CMBB. This will change as CMBB gets more mods.

Which to go for, well ask yourself the question which do you have a larger interest in, Normandy or russian campaign.

I would go for the bundle.

easytarget;

CMMOS is a programme done by Gordon Molek that allows you to switch between mods, eg allows you to install Gunslinger's Grass, go into CM check it out, duck back to CMMOS change to another grass mod, switch back to CM, load you game again and check that grass out.

By doing this it allows you to easily filter the mods so you arrive at the modded CM that best suits your taste.

You can install any mod without CMMOS (can take some editing of bmp files) but not all (90% are however) mods are CMMOS compatible.

Hope that helps.

[ November 27, 2002, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: Pud ]

Both games are great. I am waiting on a new system to get CMBB, and if you do get CMBO only, you get the following advantages:

</font>

• Great game, still fresh after two years of constant play </font>
  • Fully patched and a ton of mods and scenarios for you to enjoy </font>
  • Western Front setting, your stated preference </font>
  • CMBB available for later purchase, so you have something to look forward to </font>
  • Wife knows you only bought one game instead of two </font>
On the other hand, if you get the bundle:
</font>
  • Save a few bucks </font>
  • Have it all now, dammit </font>
  • No chance wife will prohibit CMBB purchase once you have demonstrated that she is now a true computer game widow </font>

CMBO can be enjoyed as a stand alone item for years. CMBB is an improvement on a superb game, but it is the Eastern Front, and if that isn't your bag, tough. You just have to wait for the new Western Front version (Drool!)

Originally posted by Fire-at-Will:

Regards to all.

CMBO is an awsome game in it's own right. The graphics are a little bit dated, but with all the different mods available for it, that isn't really an issue. Just note the mods only improve the in game graphics, sound or interface appearance. They do not replicate any of the improvements or tweaks made to the feature list added in CMBB. The best starting point that I know of off the bat is www.combatmission.com . There are quite a few other sites worthy of checking out for CM mods, but that one is the best overall starting point.

ironically, i installed cmmos and the first thing it wanted was something to do with rule sets (of course i had no idea what this meant)

i then grabbed the mad dog mods, since it seemed like as good a place as any to start, only to find as far as i can tell they don't work with cmmos

in any event, i'm pretty familiar with directories and such so i just unzipped anything i grabbed and moved the files to the correct directories - ain't like you've got to have cmmos in order to do this sort of thing

and if i need to resort back to default i can simply dump the wav and bmp directories off the cd back onto my hd and i'm back where i started

the luxury of broadband is that even grabbing the files again from a fresh restart is virtually effortless since i get transfer rates with my cable of 3-400kbs smile.gif

one follow up

is there a listing somewhere i missed of some of the best mods that cmmos does work with?

i mean, i haven't given up on it yet, i just haven't gotten it to work after one night of trying

i'd love a short list of mods that work with cmmos that improve the appearence of terrain, weather, vehicles, etc - it'd be nice after all to play in a winter setting with the vehicles and troops looking appropriately wintery

there's just so many of them that it's rather daunting to figure out

this doesn't need to be an exaustive list, just some of the best you feel make a huge impact to CMBO visually and/or sound wise would be great - the one's you feel you couldn't be w/o sort of thing..