Trenches too easy to spot?

Not sure if this has been brought up on the forum before, but it seems to me that trenches are very easy to spot. The result is that even though units inside stay hidden any sensible player just hits he trench with direct area fire or simply stays away from that area and therefore renders the trench virtually useless.

Should they really be much much easier to spot than a foxhole or gun pit? As the game stands at present I certainly wont be using them much with extreme FOW because they give away your defensive positions.

Agree or disagree??

Cheers

Al

Pretty hard to hide a trench. Infantry have excellent cover in them though so there are places where they are worth it.

Put them in front of a heavy building along with wire. Leave your troops hidden in the building and man the trench after the enemy has felt it with fire. Perhaps your troops can be on a reverse slope on in the woods near a trench. It is expensive to recon by fire, so I would not worry too much. I like trenches.

Still no better place to be during a heavy arty bombardment.

I don't think they're too easy to spot. Further, not every yard or section of trench contains enemy soldiers. Unless you can spot the enemy, there's a good chance your shells are just going to fall on an empty section of trench anyway.

Without cammo any defensive possition that required moving earth to construct will stick out like a sore thumb. It IS possible to cammo a trench or other defensive possitions, however it does require a fair amount of work. I think this topic was discussed prior to the full release with it being suggested that cammo be available for purchase along with fortifications. IIRC the response was that this was not possible due to engine constraints, but maybe it'll be in the CM2 engine.

[ October 18, 2002, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: DevilDog ]