Real German Tactic or Allied Propaganda?

This is for anyone who can confirm or deny this alleged tactic. I remember hearing how during the early campaign in the West, the Germans would purposely bomb civilian towns and villages, even those with little or no military value, in order to scare the populance. This would get them to flee their towns, hit the roads in great numbers, and cause such a log jam that Allied forces who were using the roads would be bogged down by all the fleeing refugees using up the road. I have never seen confirmation of this alleged tactic. True or old Allied "Hun" propaganda?

[ December 22, 2002, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Commissar ]

Phuhhhh. Nice one...

Well the Germans did bomb cities with civilians not as much to scare the **** out of the civilians per se, but as a threat in order to quicken up th esurrender of the opposing military (which might not be around that specific city or in that city) kind of non-Geneve black mail. (Warschau, Rotterdam are examples).

I guess that indeed the fleeing refugees might have caused traffic jams but if these was the initial intention of the Germans?? I doubt it very much, it was obviously a nice "extra" bonus but the main reason for this bombing of cities at the beginning of the war was plain terror/black mail. (Surrender or we will bomb another city).

Well so far for my knowledge/opinion of WW2, i hope others have soem more detailed info on this.

gr

Screeny

Originally posted by Screeny:

Well the Germans did bomb cities with civilians not as much to scare the **** out of the civilians per se, but as a threat in order to quicken up th esurrender of the opposing military

Agree with that. Belgrade is another example (for which the responsible German officer was hung after the war).

An example of the 'bomb the city to paralyze transportation' would be Operation Thunderclap, an allied operation.

It was considered that Berlin, Dresden, Leipzig and Chemnitz - all just behind the German lines on the Eastern Front now - would be suitable targets. They were all vital communications and supply centres for the Eastern Front and were already packed with German refugees and wounded from the areas recently captured by the Russians. As well as the morale aspect of the attacks, there was the intention of preventing the Germans from moving reinforcements from the West to face the successful Russian advance.

Vulture,

If I am correct, I think that during the Ardennes offensive, those Germans in Amis uniforms were there to misdirect Aliied road traffic and seize a few important positions (mostly bridges).

As collateral benefit to the Germans, because of the fear of Germans in Amis uniforms, the Allies were caused to employ increased security which generally slowed and somewhat balled up the Allied rear area and traffic.

Ultimately, the Allies correctly reacted to the German offensive and crushed it by massive application of airpower, AFVs, manpower, and firepower, especially arty and airpower. If the Allies acted correctly (which they did), the German's Ardennes offensive had no chance.

Cheers, Richard :D