Spotting trenches/foxholes

I wonder why it is easier to spott them then the troops that use them? I would assume that the foxholes/trenches are camoed very well - at least this was teached to us in my military service.

If I'm not (again) the only one who thinks so - is known if there will be any changes on that in upcoming patches?

I guess the visibility of earthworks could vary a whole lot depending on a whole slew of variables. Environmental factors could include whether they are in some kind of covering terrain and how dense that is; whether they can be observed from a higher elevation; and lighting at the time of the battle. Human factors would include the skills and experience of the troops making them; the amount of time and quantity and type of camouflaging materials available to them. Such simple things as distributing the spoil from excavation where it won't give away the digging was a thing that most troops ignored or simply didn't have the time and energy to deal with properly, yet a pile of fresh dirt was usually the first thing that gave earthworks away.

Michael

In CMBO, it was very common to see them before you saw the occupying units. Now, it doesnt seem to be that way, unless you are very very close. As Michael pointed out, it would depend on what type of foxholes they are ect. It would make sense though to be able to see a trench before you saw the units 'in' the trench.

Chad

On my basic training, the three man team I was in dug the worst fighting position in the history of warfare. Actually, me and the big redhead slept a lot and the third guy did a lot of digging. The dirt got piled up in front of the hole (instead of peeling the sod back and spreading the dirt out, then rolling the sod back on top like we were taught), and at one point I buried my FN so that when the attack came the next morning, it would only fire single shot, the action so stiff it needed to be recocked each time instead of cycling semi-automatically.

Even so, the enemy was in gasmasks and didn't see us during their first-light attack until about 10 metres away! LOL

The real advantage of having the hole was dumping our unexpended ammunition (and since my rifle only fired 2 or 3 shots, I had a lot of that) into the bottom and burying it, so we wouldn't have to carry it on the forced march....