Movement Through buildings

Hello all,

I was wondering about movment in city blocks, where there are a lot of buildings flush with one another, sometimes my squads can move from one to the next, other times they run outside along the wall and then turn back into the building. Anyway I can tell which should be happening?

When you are issuing orders, while plotting movement, hover the cursor over any walls between buildings to see if it turns red, meaning you can't move from one the next while inside.

The thing is, some are rowhouses that do not connect to one another on the interior, while some are buildings that do allow access without going outside.

The user interface on this is really unclear. I remember my first urban battle where my squads spilled into the streets even though I'd plotted them to move inside adjacent buildings. (they got slaughtered)

Only factories allow movement between connected buildings.

I am not sure.. as I have not tested it yet, but if the scenario designer places large buildings together with their fronts facing each other movement should be allowed between buildings logically.

In the editor .. look for the little white tab on the building edge. That is the front facing side. This should allow movement bewteen two buildings anyway. You will have to go out and around to get to the next after that pair.

I will test it myself if no one has already done this.

EDIT - test complete... nope .. they still go around... the stupid buggers. - EDIT

[ October 26, 2002, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: Sgt. Schultz ]

Hey Shultzie! Your test is correct. Large buildings (not factories) next to each other do not allow movement directly. There is not "mouseholing". No choice but to run into the street and into the next building.

Also note that destroying a building and turning it into rubble STILL will not allow movement directly from the rubble into the adjacent building.

Now with CMBB there is sewer movement which is a nice way to go from building to building. But it takes lots of time....

Cheers!

-Sarge