Modem Play

There is no dedicated modem-to-modem (serial-to-serial) connection type for CMBO (and there won't be for CMBB either).

The only way to play between two players on different computers is to have a TCP/IP connection between them. I'm not sure how you would do this with two modems without an ISP. I don't know if using a program like PC Anywhere would help (you would both have to set your IP addresses to some similar range). You would be limited to a 33.6K speed between the two computers since there is no 'digital loop' between two callers not going through an ISP.

Considering the cost of the software that might allow for this and the amount of work to get it running it probably wouldn't be worth it. At that point you could pay for several months of service from most ISP's.

Since you're both running on different platforms I don't think that 'Dialup Networking' will work (which is a Windows application/service to network two computers over a phone line). I could be wrong about this, but I'm not familiar with setting it up for a direct dial between two machines. I'm also unfamiliar with what would be on the Mac side to act as a 'host' for the incoming call and establish a TCP/IP session between the two callers (or if the reverse situation would work). I would have to look this up and see if there is a way that this would work.

However, the maximum speed that you would be able to achieve over a phone line would be 33.6K under optimal conditions, which would be very slow for a TCP/IP session (though still workable I assume).

FTP between Mac & PC:

http://www.atpm.com/7.11/networking1.shtml

This would allow you to play in PBEM mode in CM (not TCP/IP however). You could swap files back and forth with this method, though I'm not sure how well it would work.

Multiple MAC dialup accounts (necessary for the Mac user since he'll probably have an Internet connection in addition to the connection to the dial up connection to the PC user):

http://www.techsoup.org/qod_answer.cfm?qotdid=144&thistopic=1

I haven't found any truly relevant sources on the Internet about PC to Mac modem to modem IP connections, but it still may be possible.