Infantry special weapons???

Scipio

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Snarker:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Scipio:

Have I missed it? Can I now order my infantry to use there special weapons like grenade bundles etc or not? If yes, how?

In addition, try the 'assault' command instead of just targeting.</font>

In a current battle I tried exactly this. I had unspotted Jaegers in a wood, sitting in a foxhole. A T-34 was ~20m away, so I ordered 'assault', hoping they would just throw the grenade bundle or fire their rifle grenade. Instead they left their cover and tried to run to the tank, only to get slaughtered in open terraine.
In order to assault a vehicle like that you need to issue the 'follow vehicle' command.

It still bothers me that you can't continue the "follow vehicle" order, like giving them a retreat waypoint to terrain cover if they manage to destroy the vehicle, run out of effective AT weapons before achieving that, or if the vehicle moves out of range.

The current system where the troops remain kneeling next to the tank after they've ran out of AT ordnance is just plain stupid.

The current system where the troops remain kneeling next to the tank after they've ran out of AT ordnance is just plain stupid.
Agreed. The first time I tried to assault a tank I kept waiting for the infantry to do something really clever. Instead they just calmly stayed next to the tank until it slowly traversed it's turret and blew them to kingdom come. I learnt that lesson really fast.

Infantry will use their AT weapons on their own without giving them any commands. The TacAI is pretty smart about this so I find it better to let it run the close in attacks against AFVs.

The area fire to use explosives is useful when an enemy is just out of LOS or when you want to demolish a building or when the positive target ID is lost and you want to blow the cowering enemy to kingdom come.

Infantry will use their AT weapons on their own without giving them any commands. The TacAI is pretty smart about this so I find it better to let it run
I remember one of my first battles in CMBO. It was the scenario (can't remember the name now) where German paras are fighting US in bocage country. I had an FJ rifle squad in a house engaged in a firefight. There was a panzerschrek team with them which I ordered to lie down because I didn't want them getting involved in a firefight with infantry. All of a sudden this Sherman tank comes round the corner. My FJ rifle squad shouts "PANZER" at which point the panzerschrek team gets up and fires at the sherman, taking it out. Both the panzerschrek team and the rifle squad then hit the deck because they've been suppressed by the backblast from the 'schrek. I sat and watched that replay about half a dozen times, amazed. I remember thinking that this is one hell of a game.

Originally posted by Ant:

Agreed. The first time I tried to assault a tank I kept waiting for the infantry to do something really clever. Instead they just calmly stayed next to the tank until it slowly traversed it's turret and blew them to kingdom come. I learnt that lesson really fast.

Perhaps the vehicle "shoot & scoot" command could be altered as "follow, assault & scoot" for the infantry? ;)

Originally posted by Ant:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />The current system where the troops remain kneeling next to the tank after they've ran out of AT ordnance is just plain stupid.

Agreed. The first time I tried to assault a tank I kept waiting for the infantry to do something really clever. Instead they just calmly stayed next to the tank until it slowly traversed it's turret and blew them to kingdom come. I learnt that lesson really fast.</font>

I guess when assaulting tanks in CMBB you have to take care that your infantry isn`t to close to the tank.Thay will not use their special weapons (and sometimes even handgrenades) if there is a chance to hurt themselves.

For example take a look at CMBO : a unit is standing behind a bunker at a distance of one or two meters....nothing happens ! Let them go away at a distance of 15 meters they start dropping grenades at it.

I agree with Bone Vulture on this one, the squad should assault the tank, then use either the shoot'n'scoot or withdraw code to get the hell away into the nearest cover. Perhaps BFC can tweak the code for this?

Whilst it was obviously a very dangerous job, the men that carried out one/two-man attacks on tanks weren't suicide jockeys, some were experts at it, and carried it out many times, and i personally would like to have mine survive sometimes, if possible.